***OKIES in the BYC III ***

You all just made the whole Eeyore thing awkward now :/ @lonnyandrinda That's a gorgeous baby! My mixes are some of the coolest bireds i've ever seen. My little Legbar capons from you are filling out nicely. I'm loving their color and personality.
What do people think about not candling until day 18? Or is it technically 17 that lockdown starts? I'm pretty nervous about handling the eggs mainly because I cracked one while being super OCD about fitting it in perfectly. I didn't know how to assemble them in the incubator. I figured a tight fit between bars would be best because then they wouldn't be rolling around. But there are lots of different egg sizes and it took awhile to figure it out. I just hate the thought of taking them out and having to put them back in.
I used to be scared about the eggs rolling around also, but really-they don't. I also found one of the dividers her that's supposed to go with that incubator, I'm sorry! PM me an address and i'll send it to you. Someday we'll have drones that we swipe with our debit card and send off to someone, that'd be too cool. If you've got a bright enough cheap LED flashlight you can begin to see veins on Day 2. By Day 4 I can tell with 95% accuracy who's growing. I used to candle a lot. Just do it in a real dimly lit room without distractions. I would set the big ones in their own row and the littler ones in a row and just adjust the divider to the biggest egg in that row. I wouldn't start trying to rig contraptions to hold them in place. Eggs are rolled around a lot more under a hen than in a Brinsea. Get a cheap LED flashlight at Walmart, that's what I used (after I lost the $25 one my husband got me).
I was mostly using Malay which I believe have the Walnut type of comb. but the roos that I used always had the smallest comb possible. I was trying to breed the comb to be virtually non existant.
Do you still have the Malay boy? How is he doing? :) I've been wanting to ask you if you would still want the Shamo/Asil boy. You know Orientals and you'll do right by them. He's in a huge fenced yard with a shelter right now but it's a matter of time before something snatches him. I'm flat out of room to put him anywhere else and he doesn't get a long with other roosters :idunno (Go figure, huh?) No charge if he goes to you.
Morning guys- wanted to check with you all, i have a pair of muskovy hens and 6 swedish ducklings to rehome, i'll get some pics, pm me if anyone is interested- this is the mama- the ducklings are nearly her size now, swedish
I hope you find a duck lover to take them. We just gave our 3 ducks to a friend of ours with a 1 acre pond (NOT Arlo's ducks, Ashley lol). Ducks are hilarious.....but I've come to the conclusion that they need an actual real pond or lake instead of a kiddie swimming pool lol The pond we'd been going to make for ours wouldn't have been nearly enough for them. Oh, and my barred Rocks that I caponized the day Poco and Kass taught us are 6 1/2 mo now and getting huge. I love the teeny tiny combs and long streaming feathers on capons. I'm so happy I have so many of them.

You all just made the whole Eeyore thing awkward now
hmm.png

@lonnyandrinda That's a gorgeous baby! My mixes are some of the coolest bireds i've ever seen. My little Legbar capons from you are filling out nicely. I'm loving their color and personality.
I used to be scared about the eggs rolling around also, but really-they don't. I also found one of the dividers her that's supposed to go with that incubator, I'm sorry! PM me an address and i'll send it to you. Someday we'll have drones that we swipe with our debit card and send off to someone, that'd be too cool.
If you've got a bright enough cheap LED flashlight you can begin to see veins on Day 2. By Day 4 I can tell with 95% accuracy who's growing. I used to candle a lot. Just do it in a real dimly lit room without distractions. I would set the big ones in their own row and the littler ones in a row and just adjust the divider to the biggest egg in that row. I wouldn't start trying to rig contraptions to hold them in place. Eggs are rolled around a lot more under a hen than in a Brinsea. Get a cheap LED flashlight at Walmart, that's what I used (after I lost the $25 one my husband got me).
Do you still have the Malay boy? How is he doing? :)
I've been wanting to ask you if you would still want the Shamo/Asil boy. You know Orientals and you'll do right by them. He's in a huge fenced yard with a shelter right now but it's a matter of time before something snatches him. I'm flat out of room to put him anywhere else and he doesn't get a long with other roosters
idunno.gif
(Go figure, huh?)
No charge if he goes to you.
I hope you find a duck lover to take them.
We just gave our 3 ducks to a friend of ours with a 1 acre pond (NOT Arlo's ducks, Ashley lol). Ducks are hilarious.....but I've come to the conclusion that they need an actual real pond or lake instead of a kiddie swimming pool lol The pond we'd been going to make for ours wouldn't have been nearly enough for them.

Oh, and my barred Rocks that I caponized the day Poco and Kass taught us are 6 1/2 mo now and getting huge. I love the teeny tiny combs and long streaming feathers on capons. I'm so happy I have so many of them.
Just name her Rabbit
gig.gif

I can just get the divider when we pick up the ducks if thats alright with you? And thanks for taking such good care of our girls.
smile.png
We are getting closer and closer to moving!

My name is Joules and I'm a newbie chicken owner. I live in rural Texas, about 30 miles west of Fort Worth.
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us...did you grow up in Oklahoma? I have family in North Texas near Borger.

Quote: Thinking about stacking them to make them taller....... can you see the wheels turning?

having some wonderful chicken drama. Buffy is in the quarantine cage for the a few hours until everyone is asleep. They are all fine outside, but if I add Flower to the indoor mix, Buffy won't even let her get to food. She grabs her by the neck Flower struggles until she gets away. She can get away on the perch and everyone is happy, but she can't really avoid Buffy other than there. Is this pecking order stuff, or should I create a separate area in the indoor cage? (unfortunately they can't be in the quarantine cage and the big cage and see everyone. because of the sides on both cages)
A small tent shaped area with an opening that Buffy can't enter would be good for Flower to escape into for both feed and water. Or a lean to against one of the walls in a corner....

Isn't she pretty? Cream Legbar mom and Black Copper Marans daddy. She's a sexlink and I'm hoping for olive eggs! Some of these sexlinks are all black, and she is the most speckled, but most are in between.
Nice color!
Is the roofing material made from PVC?

Quote: Now that comment is no good without photos!

Ashtree...no need to take the eggs out to cangdle..just use the LED light on the top of the egg. You should see the veins and know they are developing.

Last edited:
Beautiful day...running the sprinkler in the garden after tying up the tomatoes...Again!
pulled lots of grass yesterday, mowed and now need to get some beds ready to plant carrots while it is cool Will put some 1 x 4 boards on the rows for a few days to help with germination and then will plant turnips Sept 1. I have tons of new Romaine lettuce up and need to transplant some to the edges of many beds for a nice fall crop.
I have some Fall/winter peas to try planting this year too. I like trying new varieties to see how they do.

And, I took a few photos today.....First the babies...The Columbian Wyandotte took hers for their first outing...

While these two were still inside....The Black Wyandotte has 6 Buckeye chicks and the Blue Wyandotte has Birchen and Columbian

Then the broody hens...count them! Eleven at one time. The Bantam Belgian d'Anvers and the Bantam Delaware have eggs, as does the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. But the rest are sitting tight on empty nests. These are some serious girls!

Then the Cochins out for some morning scratch and this little unlikely pair...The Bantam Buff Cochin and Miss Pollyanna...the Polish.

@Ashtree you may have to take her too......they are now inseparable.

Nana that is called Ondura roofing from Lowe's. A little pricey but very durable and way easier than shingles. Our goats have figured out how to jump up there and it is no worse for the wear.

Someone asked about the cresting on my sexlinks- most are crested. Cresting can be a single gene or double gene, if the cream legbar mom has a big poufy crest she has two cresting genes and all her babies will be crested.

Nana that is called Ondura roofing from Lowe's. A little pricey but very durable and way easier than shingles. Our goats have figured out how to jump up there and it is no worse for the wear.
Thank you. I have used rolled asphalt shingle sheeting for the roofs of a few buildings, but I think that would be more chicken friendly. The asphalt sometimes comes up at the corners.
Also...love the blocks of beeswax I ordered from you....will be perfect for my soap and salve recipes.

Back
Top Bottom