***OKIES in the BYC III ***

What do you guys do for your chickens on super humid days like this? This is my first summer with chickens. They are 13 weeks old. I have a mister that I set up when it's hot but when it's this humid I don't think it really does much. I have a frozen electrolyte waterer for them that melts throughout the day and a plain ice water bucket that they drink out of. What else can I do to help keep them cool? I have a pool. Do chickens like to swim? lol Supervised of course...I'm half joking but if it helps them I'll do it. They don't seem like they're struggling but obviously I want to avoid getting to that point. I just feel bad for them.

I thought I would be actively counting the days until these eggs are set to hatch, but the closer it gets the more nervous I am. Lockdown? Makes my stomach hurt to think of messing it up. Arlo asked to not be here on hatching day so he's going to his best friends house that weekend. He says he's too nervous something will go wrong. I swear sometimes he's my mini me. My poor husband thinks were nutty! I think I have 2 quitters; 1 bloodring and 1 not fertile. I'm going to candle tonight and toss them out-its day 8 now.

@iPeanut1990 shade, shade, shade! And a nice box fan doesn't hurt ;) Mine consider misting a form of torture so I only spray down their coops and the fencing around their run if its super super hot.

What do you guys do for your chickens on super humid days like this? This is my first summer with chickens. They are 13 weeks old. I have a mister that I set up when it's hot but when it's this humid I don't think it really does much. I have a frozen electrolyte waterer for them that melts throughout the day and a plain ice water bucket that they drink out of. What else can I do to help keep them cool? I have a pool. Do chickens like to swim? lol Supervised of course...I'm half joking but if it helps them I'll do it. They don't seem like they're struggling but obviously I want to avoid getting to that point. I just feel bad for them.

Shade and water containers they can wade in, they love to wade in the water on hot days. (water needs to be in shade so it doesn't get to hot)

@iPeanut1990 shade, shade, shade! And a nice box fan doesn't hurt
wink.png
Mine consider misting a form of torture so I only spray down their coops and the fencing around their run if its super super hot.
I set up a box fan for them. They're whole run is shady during this time of day. They're scared of the fan but I think they'll thank me later haha. Mine don't seem to mind the mister but in this much humidity it doesn't help much.

Last edited:
OK I need some help one of my cochin girls is acting funny.

she sounds a little wisie and was yawning a lot she also is pulling out feathers on her neck the skin on her head and around her ears looks dry and crusty and there was some yellow ear wax in one of her ears. I looked her all over and she doesn't have any bugs so not sure what the white crusty stuff on her neck is but i must be itchy because when i touched it she tried to scratch with her beak.

th

See the head floof "streamers" this is a boy

th

See the lack of streamers, the uniform roundness in the head floof, this is a girl
Thanks for the pictures. And thank you everyone else for your input. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to get this typed and sent. It is hot out, but I'm not sweating as bad as I did the night before. I'm trying to set up new nesting boxes in the new coop. Kass, did you get my last PM? I didn't know if it went through, but it shows on this end that it did. After today or tomorrow, I should be ready for my boy. Read my PM and see what you think. Call me if you want. Well, even if Teri ends up a girl, she, he is so special, I feel someone's child who has responsible parents, should have him / her. It would break my heart if something happened to it here. Planning on processing(from the start) a rooster today. I have never skinned one. Always plucked, so I'll have to read up on it.

Back
Top Bottom