***OKIES in the BYC III ***

My SLW cockerel met his maker this afternoon. I'm trying to be tough about it, but I'm just glad it happened quickly and he didn't suffer much if any. Neck broken. He wasn't very tame and tried to sneak out from under the temporary run as it was being moved a few feet. I'm charging my husband with involuntary chicken slaughter and sentencing him to start a new walk-in run we've been planning today.
hugs.gif
Sorry about your boy, the sentence seems just though

So glad to see so many new folks here on the OKIE thread.

I'm leaving on Wednesday with my two sisters to visit my aging father in Florida...we will be gone 9 days. My "to do" list for streamlining the chicken and garden chores is very lengthy. Roger will have his hands full. Besides my garden and chickens, it is getting time for hay season.

So far in the garden I've weeded all 23 beds, tied up the tomatoes, planted sweet potatoes, pulled the onion crop, processed the peach harvest, collected a two gallon bucket of poppy seed pods, removed the deadwood from the fruit trees and repotted all the indoor plants for the deck. I still have some flowers to set out in the front flower bed and the Starks Nursery trees arrived for me to plant.

For the chickens, I've cleaned the brooder room, placed all hens with brood on the ground, refurbished all the nest boxes with clean hay, repaired all the tarps in the outside pens, hauled eight wheelbarrows loads of deep litter from the henhouse to the garden and spread it, moved all hens with brood to the floor of the henhouse and sorted the roosters for butchering. I still need to release the pheasants to the back pasture and sanitize their indoor pen for the Seramas, rearrange the Columbian Wyandotte into two pens for the summer, butcher 12 roosters and candle the eggs in the incubator that are due three days after my return.

Enjoying some time at the beach will be a nice vacation from all the prep for the trip.

Last edited:
So glad to see so many new folks here on the OKIE thread.

I'm leaving on Wednesday with my two sisters to visit my aging father in Florida...we will be gone 9 days. My "to do" list for streamlining the chicken and garden chores is very lengthy. Roger will have his hands full. Besides my garden and chickens, it is getting time for hay season.

So far in the garden I've weeded all 23 beds, tied up the tomatoes, planted sweet potatoes, pulled the onion crop, processed the peach harvest, collected a two gallon bucket of poppy seed pods, removed the deadwood from the fruit trees and repotted all the indoor plants for the deck. I still have some flowers to set out in the front flower bed and the Starks Nursery trees arrived for me to plant.

For the chickens, I've cleaned the brooder room, placed all hens with brood on the ground, refurbished all the nest boxes with clean hay, repaired all the tarps in the outside pens, hauled eight wheelbarrows loads of deep litter from the henhouse to the garden and spread it, moved all hens with brood to the floor of the henhouse and sorted the roosters for butchering. I still need to release the pheasants to the back pasture and sanitize their indoor pen for the Seramas, rearrange the Columbian Wyandotte into two pens for the summer, butcher 12 roosters and candle the eggs in the incubator that are due three days after my return.

Enjoying some time at the beach will be a nice vacation from all the prep for the trip.
bow.gif
I need a nap and I just read everything you did!!!!!

@Matt in OklaWe haven't really had many. Only processed one hen with an injury that wouldn't heal. With this new crop of babies that may change. I'm sure some think it is too much trouble to process one or two.

Maybe those in town can't really allow them to grow up enough to be eating size.

I wouldn't mind getting some meat birds at some point. Especially since my husband now has a turkey fryer and two big pots.

@Matt in OklaWe haven't really had many. Only processed one hen with an injury that wouldn't heal. With this new crop of babies that may change. I'm sure some think it is too much trouble to process one or two.

Maybe those in town can't really allow them to grow up enough to be eating size.

I guess the town thing makes sense. Never thought bout that.
Sure can't see the proccesing one though. When I had to cull my hen I was sad from attachment but I gave it to my daughter so they could have a good meal or two.

Does no one eat "chicken" anymore? When we raised them growing up we ate the unwanted roosters.

My son and I processed 2 roosters and made dumplings. I grew up in a hunting/trapping family but it was still hard since I raised them and treated them likes pets. It was less hard when I saw them attacking my pullets. I have 2 bantie cockerels and it doesn't seem worth it to process them but I'm also pretty attached to them. The one only hurts Pip my big softie and not the girls.

Different people do different things and have chickens for a multitude of reasons.

Back
Top Bottom