***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I just don't really have the stomach for cleaning and butchering animals, to be honest. More power to the people that can. If I depended on them for meat, I just bet I could. Mine are more like pets to me, though. City girl issues... It's okay if you want to roll your eyes at that. Lol!

I just don't really have the stomach for cleaning and butchering animals, to be honest. More power to the people that can. If I depended on them for meat, I just bet I could. Mine are more like pets to me, though. City girl issues... It's okay if you want to roll your eyes at that. Lol!

Bhahahahaha
1f644.png

Well it ain't for everyone I guess. I was just curious.

i feel you on them being pets!! I dread the day I actually have to put one down. I want them to be able to die happy and peacefully in their sleep but there's also an issue on if they get ill and it'd be better to put them out of their misery... Or if they just get past their laying prime, I feel I'm gonna need to to cut down feed costs. It's a hard thought to bear 'cause mine all have names and I'm so attached to them.
lol.png

Speaking of hens getting past their laying prime, do any of you know anyone who sells pullets? I'm unable to do day-old chicks unless I have a broody mom again, so getting some replacements when they're out of commission seems to be a good idea.

So with that, where do ya'll buy hens here in Oklahoma? or are most of ya'll egg hatching and interested in day old chicks? I'm close to one farm/company called 5D Farms in Wister, but they only offer day old chicks. I'm interested in some of their breeds though so I might have to cave and build a brooder for next year.

I hatch my own or buy hatching eggs or day olds. I never buy pullets. (well guess a person should never say never, b/c I did buy one once a silkie wife for Rudy, from Betsy) I don't have good isolation areas, and as far as breed I have mostly what I want NN, and the nakeds. I did get a few female cx chicks I am really trying to get to egg laying age to AI w/ my naked boy. Breeders in the area sell pullets.

Speaking of hens getting past their laying prime, do any of you know anyone who sells pullets? I'm unable to do day-old chicks unless I have a broody mom again, so getting some replacements when they're out of commission seems to be a good idea.

So with that, where do ya'll buy hens here in Oklahoma? or are most of ya'll egg hatching and interested in day old chicks? I'm close to one farm/company called 5D Farms in Wister, but they only offer day old chicks. I'm interested in some of their breeds though so I might have to cave and build a brooder for next year.

Oklahoma Back Yard Chickens is scfacebook group where I've seen lots of pullets and laying hens for sale. I guess also craigslist.

I just had my husband join some Oklahoma based Facebook groups that are poultry buy, sell, trade type. I'm not on Facebook anymore myself. I'm hoping to find a pullet about the same age as my others to replace the cockerel he accidently killed. I'll let you know if I have any luck.

I just had my husband join some Oklahoma based Facebook groups that are poultry buy, sell, trade type. I'm not on Facebook anymore myself. I'm hoping to find a pullet about the same age as my others to replace the cockerel he accidently killed. I'll let you know if I have any luck.
Aaah yay! Thank you so much!

I'm going through the problem of finding pullets myself. I'm not sure about the southeast but have found a few in the northeast. I found them on Craigslist for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom