***OKIES in the BYC III ***

@jrjoplin very rarely do the Cochin crow. My oldest cock will crow in the morning in their pen in answer to the others roosters in their pens and then stays quiet the rest of the day. We do hear a lot of Oohhh Oohhh Oohhh from the roosters as they talk to each other.
The three younger cockerels (11 month) don't crow at all yet.

We had a scare this evening. I had just finished in the hen house and was beginning to fill the feeders in the outside pens. All the pens were open as all birds were still free ranging and/or returning to their coops. Suddenly there was a HUGE ruckus going on in the hen house in the barn....where the layer flock and brood hens are located. I ran back to the barn thinking there was a big fight going on because hens are squawking and chicks are alarmed and birds are fleeing the hen house thru all doors. As I started thru the human door to the hen house ANSEL is flogging a hawk and has the hawk down on the floor jumping all over him...not a big rooster in sight. Just the mighty little Seabright. I grab a hoe near the door and make the final blow. Ansel jumps on the roost and crows in triumph. It was a sparrow hawk with a 20 inch wing spread...granted Ansel outweighed the hawk, but the hawk had talons and a vicious beak. It took a while to settle the moms and babies. Even the mothers inside brood cages had been slamming their bodies against their cage walls to get out. Fortunately no one was injured. I checked Ansel thoroughly for any sign of injury...not a scratch on him. What a great flock protector!
WAY TO GO LITTLE MAN!! quite a feat for him!

I have a crossbeak serama mama raising 4 silkies, they are 3 days old, and she is a new mama, doing well with them

My mom put this on her coop

1f602.png

If it is hanging in your coop, might run a heat lamp down beside it to warm the air around the bucket.
I have hung a lamp above my floor water container (5 gallon) and another one above the well pump in the barn with success for the past two winters.
thanks. I will probably try that.

The project I've been working on this week. The tile is finished in the bathroom now. It looks like wood, but it is really tile. The grout is colored light brown. I decided to use the tile as a baseboard too. The space behind the toilet is tight and hard to clean so I decided to run the tile up the wall behind it. I am so thrilled w/ how it turned out, can't wait to do the rest of the house

Looks great Kass! We arethinking about putting some of that same thing down in our house.Was it easy to work with?
Robin the silkies are cute. Have fun with them.

Yes it was easy. Invest in a wet saw, we just got the $100 one at Lowes it works well. It really does look good in person.

Back
Top Bottom