***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Checked under the broody...there are two Delaware and a Quail and the pipped Delaware has the top off....will get pictures later today. There are 4 eggs that are supposed to hatch tomorrow. May put the hatched babies in the brooder for food and water while the others hatch and then give them all back to her. She will sit tight until all are hatched and the older ones will be wanting nourishment soon.

Oh...here are some photos from this weekend

Sweet potato broody hen and duck

4 gallons of chowchow ready to jar up

Spiced Tomatillo juice and Salsa Verde. I use the Tomatillo juice for recipes like tortilla soup, Mexican chicken, enchilada sauce, polenta, Chili, etc.

Last edited:
Checked under the broody...there are two Delaware and a Quail and the pipped Delaware has the top off....will get pictures later today. There are 4 eggs that are supposed to hatch tomorrow. May put the hatched babies in the brooder for food and water while the others hatch and then give them all back to her. She will sit tight until all are hatched and the older ones will be wanting nourishment soon.

Now we know where the real boneless poultry ranch is
droolin.gif

Last edited:
Nana I showed buff brahma bantams , looking at my buckeyes this morning might show them at Shawnee, was going sell them but can't make myself do it. Getting a welsummers rooster next week same bloodline different generation. Happy Happy

Nana I showed buff brahma bantams , looking at my buckeyes this morning might show them at Shawnee, was going sell them but can't make myself do it. Getting a welsummers rooster next week same bloodline different generation. Happy Happy
You should be really proud of those Buff Brahmas!
Do you need to look at the three Buckeyes I have again in case you want to use any of them to show? The cockerel is really looking bigger in just the two weeks here. And I love the type on the hens.

Also, did an Delaware egg count. There are 29 eggs under the broodie hens and 4 Delawares have hatched! I'm going to have to pick your expertise to know what I'm looking for as these little ones start popping out all around! Put three eggs laid today in the egg turner in the back room to hold for now. I'm reading the SOP today and making notes.

4 gallons of chowchow ready to jar up

Spiced Tomatillo juice and Salsa Verde. I use the Tomatillo juice for recipes like tortilla soup, Mexican chicken, enchilada sauce, polenta, Chili, etc.
those sweet potatoes are so cool i love when things look like other things lol.

Last edited:
Okay...baby pictures as promised....four Delaware Bantams and one Quail d'Anver

Two wet babies drying under Mom

This is how you drink water... Look Mom, I can flap my wings!

It is time for you to leave...NOW!

Decided to put 7 eggs in the incubator leaving the five hatch with Mom so she could tend them. Will give the ones that hatch in the incubator tomorrow back to her after they fluff in the brooder box. Then the remaining ones will stay in the incubator and will go under the next broody with the next clutch to hatch.....share the wealth.

Last edited:
Nana, I love the babies!!!! I'm really looking forward to hatching some of them next year :))) I guess the fertility test went pretty good, huh?? I can't wait to see the babies as they grow.
Nana74331-I don't know what kind of bird that girl is. Her color looks like Silver Duckwing actually. What kind of comb does she have? And does she have feathered legs?

Finished the pickets on a 10x10 area of the deck that we'd roofed a few wks back.I completely sealed it all the way around with visqueen before putting the pickets up. There's a gap around the top where the roof slants that I'm going to seal with hardware cloth, I figured that would be good ventilation. I'm also going to make windows but seal them with plastic when it's really cold. That's where the smaller chicks are going to stay for the winter, I'll put a space heater in it & it should stay nice and cozy for the babies The Leghorns & bigger chicks will get 1/2 a shed and a 10 x 10 dog kennel, they're bummed lol I'll have 4 groups of babies if (big IF) my Brahmas hatch but only 6-10 in each group. It'll make a nice nursery and I've got more than enough huge dog crates, I'm going to just have 2 stacks of 2 crates. I love fussing over these birds.
Oh and I made my sweet Oriental Game boy a "bedroom" in his 10x10 bachelor pad, it's already roofed & sealed up so it didn't have to be a real secure bedroom area. He loved it! The silver pails have 2 different kinds of food in them, he was beside himself trying to decide which one he wanted to feed me. I made the roost low because he lands so hard when he jumps off. There's a thick bed of shavings under the roost, I even set a step there for him to make it easier to get up on it :-D He had already been trained to a tie-out when I got him so I bought one for him. When we're out back working or just hanging out I use the tie-out and he hangs out right there with us watching everything going on and talking to us. I really love this boy, he's super calm and tame and wants to just sit with you and be with you. He's by himself in the pen so I'm going to get some tree limbs to hang in there and a tire swing and stuff. I'm also going to get a picture of one of my Cochin hens on my husband's Harley and blow it up and hang it on his "bedroom" wall :lau

Selling turkey eggs already. That was unexpected for sure. Good thing the girls are laying well.

Have had the goats now for a month and I swear they've doubled their weight. I don't think they were being fed where they were at all, just eating what they could forage for and not much at that. Our little boy is a handful and smart smart smart. He's figured out how to open latches with his lips, open the lids to the rabbit feeders and dump them out, and get through the door into the garage where he can have a smorgasbord of whatever feed he wants. Sigh. The little girl just follows right along with him. She is painfully shy but lets us touch her all over, so that's good. Vincent crawled completely under my lawn chair today though. He's too big to fit, but still that's where he went. It was quite the chore to get him out.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Just leaving the Newcastle Show-some awesome birds. There was a Spangled Cornish boy i'd have loved to have for my 2 Spangled Cornish girls but didn't know how to find out who had him and if they had more.
Nana, I'm anxious to see what your Delaware hatch is like. I'm sorry about the passing of Bob Blosl, I didn't know him but it sound like he accomplished a great deal.
My husband seems to have fallen in love with the show quality Barred rocks. Do any of you have any nice quality ones? The hatchery ones always seem to look like Cuckoo Marans to me.
I did get the TAMEST pair of Polish-wow. Only 4 & 5 months old, they're every bit as tame and laid back as my Serama, Channing. I love them :)) They were handled from hatch by the cutest little girl, I can't believe how passive they are. I didn't even know I wanted Polish until i saw how tame & pretty these were.

He belongs to Larry Scott. I will ask him about it for you/

Back
Top Bottom