***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I've got the contacts of 2 ameraucana breeders in Texas and the BLRW and wheaten and splash marans from the show.

Rinda, what line are your ameraucanas?

We currently have 2 blue silkie and 1 white silkie hens with a blue silkie roo. Then we have a welsummer and 2 EE hens with a welsummer roo. All Bantams.......So, that's what we will try to hatch first. After that, who knows. LOL!

What are your guys recommendations for a lethargic chick that tends to scoot around on it's chest? Pretty strong and peeping when standing sometimes. Got the Silkie chick free since he/she didn't look so good. Just seeing what you all would do

What are your guys recommendations for a lethargic chick that tends to scoot around on it's chest? Pretty strong and peeping when standing sometimes. Got the Silkie chick free since he/she didn't look so good. Just seeing what you all would do

How old? Has it ever been able to walk normally? Does it look like it's legs just aren't strong enough or splayed?

W/o any other s/sx I would probably splint it's legs, to build some strength, muscle memory and use.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm not sure what that would be. The others might know more. Try a little sugar in the water to give it additional energy, along with some Poly-Vi-Sol vitamins (without iron)? How old is it? If it's newly hatched, it might just need some additional time to build up its energy reserves.

Are there other symptoms? Poo look okay? Any other kinds of discharge?

Lying on the breast can be a symptom of acute dehydration. You might also try increased attempts to get it to drink more.

A short video of my Tuzo......
0.jpg

How old are the babies now? I know they're not related to OEGB but that's what they remind me of for some reason. Do they talk constantly like OEGB?
id you see that ginormous Mayal rooster at the show??? Holy cow he was big..
ep.gif
Seemed very friendly, every time I called him "big rooster" he would purr at me.. Are they other bird friendly???

That is good to know... My goal one of these days is to have the Americochin recognized.. One can only dream!!!
fl.gif

The guy who had that boy entered in the show is who I got my pair from. I'm not fooling myself into thinking they're great quality or anything, I have no idea if they're good or bad. But they're personalities...? Awesome! Not a bit flighty and always wanting to see what I'm doing and if I have anything to eat. Some people say Malays are the least aggressive with other birds but no, they're not known to play well with others. However, the most bird-aggressive rooster I've seen so far has been an Orpington :-/
I love my Cochin/Ameraucana crosses. Pea combs, feathered legs, beards...does it get much better than that?

Nana, great news on Norman. My youngest graduates HS in May and my oldest is 35, I need a break before I become a grandma :-D

My Standard Cornish rooster is a sweetheart! He was pushing my hand away while I was pouring the fermented grain into their tub, I guess I either wasn't pouring fast enough or I was in his way
lol.png
so he stuck his head in the feed cup and ate out of that. Pepper, you didn't tell me you'd pre-tamed them for me lol

Ok, this LF Cochin was Black with tiny streaks of gold on her neck when I got her 18 months ago. She's 2 yrs old now and when she molted recently she turned mottled when her feathers grew back on. I know nothing about genetics but I thought that was strange. I bought her as a Brown Red but I never really thought she was because she was almost solid black. What on earth would cause her to turn mottled when she was 2 yrs old? The 2nd picture shows her big ole' white patch on her butt. It's funny because the other girls look disgusted at her for showing her fanny lol!

I would give a few droppers of sugar water to see if that helps pick him up, and start adding vitamins to the water. Or you can give a drop or two of baby vitamins like Poly-vi-sol. That has saved more chicks than anything else at my house.

Back
Top Bottom