***OKIES in the BYC III ***

I used to raise and breed bearded dragons. I would recommend them over geckos because you don't have to feed the adults crickets, just veggies and the occasional pinkie mouse or canned cat food. Their skin is much less delicate, so they are better for holding, and they don't tend to bite or scratch like Tokay Geckos or Iguanas.You can put it on your shoulder, a leash, etc.

My two LF Cochin that are sitting on eggs, and one of them hatched a chick the otherday, well came home today and the two mothers are both taking care of the one baby and have abandoned their eggs, so took the eggs in and put them in the incubator. My question is I have read that you can slip chicks to the hens in the middle of the night, however, how old is to old of chick to put with the mother, I have 4 that hatched out a few days ago, this weekend one will be about a week old. Will they take the chicks, and also since the chicks have been in a brooder and not with a hen, will they let the hen mother them or will they be scared of her...sorry for all the questions, just hate seeing the two hens sharing one little chick. (although it is so funny watching the chick go from hen to hen, and even the other hen and rooster in the cage seem content with the baby..

My two LF Cochin that are sitting on eggs, and one of them hatched a chick the otherday, well came home today and the two mothers are both taking care of the one baby and have abandoned their eggs, so took the eggs in and put them in the incubator.  My question is I have read that you can slip chicks to the hens in the middle of the night, however, how old is to old of chick to put with the mother, I have 4 that hatched out a few days ago, this weekend one will be about a week old.  Will they take the chicks, and also since the chicks have been in a brooder and not with a hen, will they let the hen mother them or will they be scared of her...sorry for all the questions, just hate seeing the two hens sharing one little chick.  (although it is so funny watching the chick go from hen to hen, and even the other hen and rooster in the cage seem content with the baby..

David, I just had a hen sneak off (under a pallet!) and hatch 3 chicks this week. I put her in a 4x4 pen with her chicks and stuck 3 of my 1 mo old Bantam Ameraucanas under her also, they'd grown up in a brooder. She shoved the whole group under her wings and by the next day you wouldn't have ever known her adopted babies hadn't been hen raised. It may depend on the hen, this one is an 18 mo old Cornish mix who'd never hatched eggs before. I think you'll have fine luck slipping the chicks under the hens.

Back
Top Bottom