***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Good advice! I try to keep a small supply on hand, as well. I usually use the foot warmers because after reading them all, they don't seem to get quite as hot. I take them to show/swaps in the winter also, and they've come in handy for other people who brought tiny chicks and didn't think well enough how to keep their chicks warm.

Most of our major appliances are gas, so when the electricity goes off, we still have hot water and use of the top of our stove. Can't use the furnace or the oven, but we can do a lot with hot water and gas burners. I fill gallon milk jugs with the hottest water I can and put them in my brooders. They'll usually last until the power comes back on, and if the outage lasts too long, they can be replaced with additional jugs.

Reminds me I need to get more foot warmers. I get them at Atwoods or WalMart.

Please say a prayer for a fellow chicken keeper in Broken Arrow, her shed/chicken area burned down last night. It was electrical in nature but not heat lamp related. I'm headed over to help her assess the damage. She lost some very special and also some very valuable birds. All her coops are damaged. When she is ready I will share her name and her needs in case anyone is able to help. I have 2 empty coops and a small 3 hole pen I am going to offer her and also take her some extra feeders/waterers I have laying around.

Rinda

Wow, glad you had the hand warmers. Where can I find some at, would Atwoods have them or even Walmart.

Yes and yes, I actually got mine at ace hardware. Look in the camping/hunting sections... or even at the check out areas! There are different sizes, just always get extras in case some don't work. I even found some larger stick ons that will be used to keep a water pipe warm enough long enough for the pvc glue to cure. I figure that I couple of those puppies and some vet wrap will do the job. Much easier than 'get a generator' to power a heat source that the manager had suggested. They were trying to be helpful.

Please say a prayer for a fellow chicken keeper in Broken Arrow, her shed/chicken area burned down last night. It was electrical in nature but not heat lamp related. I'm headed over to help her assess the damage. She lost some very special and also some very valuable birds. All her coops are damaged. When she is ready I will share her name and her needs in case anyone is able to help. I have 2 empty coops and a small 3 hole pen I am going to offer her and also take her some extra feeders/waterers I have laying around.

Rinda

Done, how terrible.
hugs.gif

Please say a prayer for a fellow chicken keeper in Broken Arrow, her shed/chicken area burned down last night.  It was electrical in nature but not heat lamp related.  I'm headed over to help her assess the damage.  She lost some very special and also some very valuable birds.  All her coops are damaged.  When she is ready I will share her name and her needs in case anyone is able to help.  I have 2 empty coops and a small 3 hole pen I am going to offer her and also take her some extra feeders/waterers I have laying around.

Rinda

I'm so so sorry to read this. To think of all those chickens :( please update us. I don't have much but I want to help any way I can.

does anyone know if you use the same meds on ducks as you would chickens or are the different?
Yes, just the amount varies. You can't use medicated chick starter on ducklings, however.

Rinda
How heartbreaking. I don't have much, bu tmay have some extra plywood and 2x4's. I'll check w/ hubby to see if he was going to use them for anything. Done on the prayers.

Quote: X2

Quote:
They are such beautiful boys! I sure do miss Floyd. I think of him often and what a great rooster he was for me. If he hadn't been so aggressive to my other roosters I would never have let him go.

Back
Top Bottom