***OKIES in the BYC III ***

A question

When I bought chicks online they asked me if I wanted to vaccinate them. So I did. Should I be vaccinating my chicks that I hatch myself???

Well, last night we went out about an hour later than usual to feed the calf. That is when I lock up the chickens. As I started walk in the barn door to turn on the lights, I noticed what I thought was a hen getting a drink from a water tub. When the head lifted it was a possum. All I could grab was a 1 in diameter length of pvc pipe we use as herding sticks. The possum ran down the long chicken run and I hollered a Roger to grab a shovel. I ran after the possum and trapped him at the end of the run and whacked him on the head a few times. He played possum until Roger got there with the shovel to do the deed. He had already attacked and killed a young pullet, but he won't do it again!. And, I will be shutting the gates earlier each evening. Sure hate those ugly critters. If I had shut the doors on time, I would not have lost the pullet.

Hope those going to the Norman show have a good time and those who have entered Bring home the ribbons!

Well, last night we went out about an hour later than usual to feed the calf. That is when I lock up the chickens. As I started walk in the barn door to turn on the lights, I noticed what I thought was a hen getting a drink from a water tub. When the head lifted it was a possum. All I could grab was a 1 in diameter length of pvc pipe we use as herding sticks. The possum ran down the long chicken run and I hollered a Roger to grab a shovel. I ran after the possum and trapped him at the end of the run and whacked him on the head a few times. He played possum until Roger got there with the shovel to do the deed. He had already attacked and killed a young pullet, but he won't do it again!. And, I will be shutting the gates earlier each evening. Sure hate those ugly critters. If I had shut the doors on time, I would not have lost the pullet.

Hope those going to the Norman show have a good time and those who have entered Bring home the ribbons!
Possums have been bad this year. I trapped two in my layer house, which is surrounded by a chain link dog kennel that is covered with 1" hex netting, top and sides. I couldn't figure out how they were getting in, until I surprised one when feeding my birds fifteen minutes early. He must have dislocated his shoulders and hips to get through the gap between the frame and the door. I caught him the next night.

Eggs kept disappearing, so I set the trap again, and this is what I caught! The trap was set inside the layer house. I need to figure out how to close the gap so that I don't have any more nighttime predators INSIDE my layer house.

Drove and met up with Rhonda and got some Jubilee Orpington eggs. Very nice meeting her. Hoping for some babies in 3 weeks...
wee.gif

Drove and met up with Rhonda and got some Jubilee Orpington eggs.  Very nice meeting her.  Hoping for some babies in 3 weeks...  :weee

I had 100% fertility and hatch rate with her jubilee eggs! :) they are the biggest cutest chicks ever! And Rhondas the best; I'm always glad to do business with her. Plus she makes me feel like having this many chickens is normal! Ha! Happy hatching!

I had 100% fertility and hatch rate with her jubilee eggs!
smile.png
they are the biggest cutest chicks ever! And Rhondas the best; I'm always glad to do business with her. Plus she makes me feel like having this many chickens is normal! Ha! Happy hatching!
I am really excited, have been wanting some Jubilees a long time. Hope my hatch rate is just as good. It probably helped that I picked them up so they didn;t have to go through the mail...

I got bit by one a couple of weeks ago. The dirtbag was in the coop hanging out in a nesting box. I was a little late coming home as well. I picked him up by the tail to swing hime around but got too close to his mouth because he was curled up. I banged him into the spare coop and took myself to the ER. Did you know that they won't stitch animal wounds? Also that possums rarely fi ever carry rabies. My dad picked hime up and disposed of him since I don't have a pond.

Back
Top Bottom