***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Still looking for fertilized eggs ... No one has any??

I have 14 a day that i give away as eating eggs, but I'm in Skiatook.

Nanakat, I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself! I wore my crock out the other day and lost one while walking, planted one bare foot in a goopy sop of mud and chicken poop. It squished between my toes. Gross! :sick The crocs are retired for drier days.

Heading to the Coweta auction tomorrow. I figured I'd just go for Coral's fabulous company and not buy anything... but it seems the granddaughters are going with me. I could be in trouble!

Anyone online that has hatched out in incubators?

Yep but its two hours later. Whatcha need? If youre still on ...

In other news, the chicks at the store got me again. I finally built a proper brooder though instead of a cardboard box. And i got innovative with the waterer.

We're trying to move to nipple waterers to save water and muck. The turkeys always pour our the regular ones or knock over buckets. So ...

I made a nipple waterer for the babies in the brooder out of a plastic cup from quicktrip. Just screwed the nipple in the bottom, popped on the plastic lid, stuck a funnel through the straw hole, and filled it up. All 7 babies have already figured out how to use it.

I was tickled. Always have a water mess in the brooder ... but no more!!!

Sorry I dozed off....no major emergency. My first chick that hatched was a bit wild in the bator. Flipping around and pecking at other eggs. This is my first hatch...and all others I have watched the chicks were a bit more subdued just after hatching. I just woke up to two more hatching...both properly tired lol. Anyone else ever experience such a feisty one in the bator?

Sorry I dozed off....no major emergency. My first chick that hatched was a bit wild in the bator. Flipping around and pecking at other eggs. This is my first hatch...and all others I have watched the chicks were a bit more subdued just after hatching. I just woke up to two more hatching...both properly tired lol. Anyone else ever experience such a feisty one in the bator?

Yep. Some are just born that way. Its usually a good thing. Its the lethargic ones that kind of lay around, not moving much, that we tend to lose. I've also found when chicks are being fiesty and running around the bator the other eggs hatch faster.

Quote: Congratulations on your hatch. It's like the feisty ones are the cheerleaders The eggs that haven't pipped may have a chick that has pierced the inner membrane and needs encouragement to keep going .
Those feisty ones can sometimes play football with the other eggs...that's why I put mine in paper cartons for hatching. Even if the hatched babies climb on them, they don't roll them.

Nanakat, I'm glad you didn't hurt yourself! I wore my crock out the other day and lost one while walking, planted one bare foot in a goopy sop of mud and chicken poop. It squished between my toes. Gross!
sickbyc.gif
The crocs are retired for drier days.

Heading to the Coweta auction tomorrow. I figured I'd just go for Coral's fabulous company and not buy anything... but it seems the granddaughters are going with me. I could be in trouble!
Thanks. I can so identify with that problem with Crocs. I live in mine most of the time...except in mud like this.
Have fun at the Coweta Auction.

I'm moving juveniles out of the brooder room in the barn to an outside pen today and shifting the babies from the house to the brooders in the hot tub room and the barn. These little ones are growing like weeds!
Then I'm going to try to poke holes and plant onions in the prepped garden bed today. And I need to spray the fruit trees before bloom burst. With all the nice weather ahead, that may begin to happen soon. My cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower will have to wait until I can prep another bed...raised beds drain quickly so may be able to do that tomorrow. Still haven't planted the potatoes yet. The peas and carrots need to go in quickly too. Spring has Sprung!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Hello fellow Okies!! I didn't know there was an Oklahoma section on here, awesome. I pretty new to chickens, only had them for about a year. Started with 6 now I have close to 100, LOL
Hatched out my first batch of chicks this past weekend, had 3 out of 5 hatch, Black Marans and 1 Buff black-tailed Marans. It was my practice run...

I'm throwing 15 more in this weekend (I might have an addiction,lol) mostly EE Roo x Blue Ameraucana Hens. Fingers Crossed!!

Any advice from the pros out there....
I'd like to get into selling the chicks I hatch, going for Marans, Ameraucanas, Cream Legbars, and Swedish Flower Hens. Thoughts on these breeds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaret8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerryhill

I've hatched lots of guineas!

Where did you get Guinea eggs this early in the season.
ep.gif
Mine are just starting the chase, much less laying eggs.

Back
Top Bottom