***OKIES in the BYC III ***

The nub that's at the base of their tail is their preening gland! The chickens stimulate it and it releases oils needed for keeping their feathers healthy! Some chickens stimulate their gland too much and it can get infected.
This post here has some good information on feathers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/320003/how-long-for-feathers-to-grow-back

Thanks! Glad we never touched the preening gland and it doesn't appear infected. Read article ... said it could take 90 days. Not sure what to do but definitely not impressed with aprons. We really appreciate your help.

Mattie (the feather picker) sleeps on the roost on one side by herself and the other chickens are all on the other side huddled up together. Thinking she might need to go.

There is no quick fix to feather problems like that. You're just going to have to wait. Yes leave her oil gland alone. It's not visible when they have feathers but very visible when they don't! When you buy a store processed chicken the oil gland has been removed during processing.

Thanks! Glad we never touched the preening gland and it doesn't appear infected.  Read article ... said it could take 90 days.  Not sure what to do but definitely not impressed with aprons.  We really appreciate your help.

Mattie (the feather picker) sleeps on the roost on one side by herself and the other chickens are all on the other side huddled up together.  Thinking she might need to go.

If Mattie is a habitual feather picker, I'd separate her for a while and feed her the extra protein as well. Sometimes they pick due to them needing something in their diet, or they're picking because they're bored.. And some pick because they're mean.

I had a hen who made it a game to pick feathers. She was a standard hen (and younger) than the bantams I had, so she was at the bottom of the ladder. But she would watch me, watch the bantam, and stretch her neck out as far as she could before ripping a mouthful of feathers and running, like she knew that the bannie was going to get her if she got caught. She also picked and pecked on another standard sized chicken and pulled her feathers out while the other allowed it. :/ She was a bored bully, but I didn't realize that until later. I got rid of her though shortly after because she started pecking me, too.

I am a little skeptical about taking Mattie out because that would only leave two hens with the rooster, and Hilde is the only one that allows her feathers to be picked. The lowest on the pecking order runs and there is plenty of places to escape to in the run. Am giving everyone extra protein but just read that might contribute to kidney disease?

I have removed Mattie before, into the garage for a week, and her behavior was better for a while ... then reverted back. Put pin-less peepers on her and that worked for a little while ... and she resumed her behavior with peepers on! So frustrating. Guess I have about 90 days to come up with a solution .... like where I am going to get a couple of nice hens when I remove her ... read it is best not to integrate a single hen.

I am a little skeptical about taking Mattie out because that would only leave two hens with the rooster, and Hilde is the only one that allows her feathers to be picked.  The lowest on the pecking order runs and there is plenty of places to escape to in the run.  Am giving everyone extra protein but just read that might contribute to kidney disease?

I have removed Mattie before, into the garage for a week, and her behavior was better for a while ... then reverted back.  Put pin-less peepers on her and that worked for a little while ... and she resumed her behavior with peepers on!  So frustrating.  Guess I have about 90 days to come up with a solution .... like where I am going to get a couple of nice hens when I remove her ... read it is best not to integrate a single hen.

Too much protein can, yes. How big is their coop and run? Inadequate space could be a reason she's picking, or she is just bored!

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/02/20-winter-boredom-busters-for-backyard.html?m=1 I know it says 'winter' but these are good ideas for the coop and run, regardless.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/03/chicken-feather-loss-cannibalism-causes.html?m=1 there's also this for a good read, too, and has potential solutions for feather loss/cannibalism!

They do help a lot. But I have a few more than they keep up with. Maybe after this years spraying (which would've been a week ago if the tractor kept running) and getting a few more quineas I won't have to spray anymore.

Fallenone05, Have 200 SF run space and 20 SF coop space so they have plenty of room. Tired of thinking about my only problem chicken, lol, have been trying to correct her behavior for a long time and read lots of articles on her behavior. Really came on here to ask about Hilde's feathers ... and guess that has been answered, with your help. Thanks.

2 mo. old Buff Orpington. Pullet or cockerel? Anyone want to venture a guess?

Well I finished my PVC chicken run. I don't have a coop in it yet. It's fairly easy to move and I braced it so much it's really sturdy. But I won't do it again cause it's WAY to expensive.

Back
Top Bottom