***OKIES in the BYC III ***

Quote: May be able to make it after all.
wee.gif
My DD is gonna ask her boss if she can take off work that Sat to relieve me of my commitment, so I can come on down to the meet.

DH got released about 1-- it wasn't heat exhaustion. They said he had drank too much water. Basically he has hardly eaten since Tuesday when he had oral surgery- he has had boiled eggs a few bannanas & such but it was hurting every time he ate so he was eating very little. All the water flushed out the good stuff & his body was running on only water.
So now DH agrees when the Dr says 10 days of light activity that he will take it easy..... There is a reason our bodies need time to heal & rest.
Woke the girls about 8 & they are big grumpy bears. I wanted to do some garden work but think we will take easy today & hope they are not so cranky tomorrow.
I updated my tapatalk app & it still isn't working! Anyone else able to use the ap
Haha, Shellie-you sound just like me at the auctions. The thought of approaching a group of laughing joking people who all act like they know each other is way too daunting for me. So I always sit off to the sidelines. I'd have also felt sorry for those chicks you accidently got. I learned my lesson though, too. The Spitz chicks I got at Newcastle a few months back were sick sick sick and nothing but bones. I didn't check them out before the auction or I'd have never gotten them, they all died. Thank God I had them separated from everyone else.They were covered in some kind of manaure and were in really bad shape. I know it's an auction and people want to unload birds they don't want but jeez....that's not being a decent human being to sell sick chicks IMO. Just one more reason in a long list of many that I'm determined not to bring in any more birds from outside. I'm hatching eggs and that's it.
That's me! LOL If there is just a few I am a lot better. I will talk peoples ears off, other than that I am so shy! Those of you who have met my hubby no what a talker he is!
lau.gif
That man hardly ever says a word. Of course I do enough talking for both of us.

Taking break from making hominy....it's on it's second boil.
Takes time but worth the effort because I don't like the taste of tin can with my hominy.
The first steps are tedious, but the cleaning boils are easy.
Then will can it after the 5th cleaning boil and the final plump boil.

Going back to catch up on posts.
I am gonna need to talk to you about how to make hominy. Mike loves it but I only know how to make it from a can. I don't like that flavor, is it much better made fresh?
Quote: Nope, forgot the pics.
sad.png
But they were so ugly that when the kids asked what they were Mike told them ," your mom is now collecting baby vultures!"
Quote: Oh those are beautiful! I can't wait. Don't worry I will be ready for more come time for Muskogee!! I will change out the bedding right now to a towel. I will need to talk to you about how to set up my colonies. What colors I am supposed to put with what and so on. LOL I have no idea! Thank you so much for all your help, I really appreciate it! Oh and my hubby is still talking about pheasants. I am trying to ignore him.
roll.png

Oh wow, I hadn't even thought of that with yours. That's when your problems seemed to snowball, didn't they? It's very possible he was carrying something your birds had never been exposed to before.
Yep- the odd thing is i thought i had him well quarantined- what i didn't take into consideration was my shoes etc.... live and learn
Quote: May be able to make it after all.
wee.gif
My DD is gonna ask her boss if she can take off work that Sat to relieve me of my commitment, so I can come on down to the meet.
hope so, it would be good to meet you!

ok, i have about had it with broodies, and its not the broody that is the problem- its a couple pushy girls finding a way into their nest! I went in to check and one of the eggs had been stepped on, the chick is in the incubator in the hopes i can save it, but not all the yolk has been absorbed, so there he sits in the bator, slightly breathing and once i heard a chirp- any other suggestions?

ok, i have about had it with broodies, and its not the broody that is the problem- its a couple pushy girls finding a way into their nest! I went in to check and one of the eggs had been stepped on, the chick is in the incubator in the hopes i can save it, but not all the yolk has been absorbed, so there he sits in the bator, slightly breathing and once i heard a chirp- any other suggestions?
I agree-broody's suck ;-/ The one hen smashed the Orloff/Marans egg, my daughter brought it inside and "egg-sat" all night (hey, it was her egg that I told her she shouldn't hatch). It was crushed all over like a jigsaw puzzle. Then there were a bunch of these Guinea eggs pipped under the same broodys and they were just dried up inside and getting shoved around so we brought them all in. One of the ones that I peeled out of the egg didn't have all his yolk absorbed, there was at least 2/3 of it still outside his body. I just left him be and now almost 24 hrs later it's all absorbed, he's peeping his head off right this minute, I'm sure he wants in with his hatchlings. It just takes time to absorb. Make sure he just lays still in the dark incubator alone. I've got 5 Guineas out now, I'm glad my chick hatches have gone better than this.

Yep- the odd thing is i thought i had him well quarantined- what i didn't take into consideration was my shoes etc.... live and learn
hope so, it would be good to meet you!

Robin, if it is still alive, a couple of things you might try. Wrap it loosely in a warm,moist paper towel or washcloth, and put it back in the incubator. Of course, keep the opening where it can breathe. Chances are it has lost a lot of fluid. I've had success several times with mixing a tiny bit of honey, poultry vitamins and warm water and placing a drop at a time on the side of the babe's beak. Even if it is very weak, it should take it in and swallow it. Even just warm water could be helpful. If it survives a day but is still weak, I keep a can of KayTee baby bird powdered formula (get it at PetSmart) in my freezer and mix a tiny bit of it with a small amount of water and feed it the same way. If it gains strength, you can feed it a thicker blend and it should soon easily accept the food. Sometimes I've had to very carefully force feed a baby, but you have to be exceptionally careful, as you can drown it.

Well it looks like Gary is getting two kittens instead of the one he was politicing for. The two my dog stole from their mother. They now have names Pebbles and Bambam.

Taking break from making hominy....it's on it's second boil.
Takes time but worth the effort because I don't like the taste of tin can with my hominy.
The first steps are tedious, but the cleaning boils are easy.
Then will can it after the 5th cleaning boil and the final plump boil.

Going back to catch up on posts.
I am gonna need to talk to you about how to make hominy. Mike loves it but I only know how to make it from a can. I don't like that flavor, is it much better made fresh?

Yes, it tastes wonderful!

When you make hominy, picture your grandmother slaving over an outdoor wood fire or a cast iron wood stove and having to rinse using water she drew from a well or from the spring.

Here's recipe for Lye Hominy
You can cut in half to save you some time and to make the quantity easier to handle. I make enough to can because the process is so time consuming.

10 cup dried corn. I use dry field corn...pick thru it like beans and rinse to remove dust. I use only the whole kernal.
3 gallon water (Well water or distilled)
3 ounces (by weight) of food grade lye...Sodium Hydroxide. You can get this at a health food store or by ordering from a soap maker's site. I use mine from www.Essentialdepot.com Lye is a caustic alkaline and will burn your skin even when dry,. So handle carefully.

Use a stainless steel pot (not aluminum) and bring to a boil for 30 minutes stirring frequently. The lye will dissolve the skin off the corn and will make removing the black nibs from the corn easier.
DO NOT get this on your skin...it will burn. Turn off the burner and let the corn/lye sit for an additional 20 minutes. Stirring utensils should be stainless steel, wood or plastic.

Now rinse the lye from the corn in hot water several times. Be careful at this stage not to get burned by the lye. You can use plastic bowls in the sink.
I find it easier to scoop out part of the corn into a big plastic bowl in my sink and then rinse it. I then use a large weave scoop (coarse sieve) to lift the corn from that bowl into another plastic bowl or bucket filled with hot water. Debris from the skin and nubs will float out and can be strained instead of going down your drain. Rinse several times. Your water will no longer be brown and it will be safe to handle the hominy.
Now fill a bowl with cold water and scoop the hominy into that. Once in cold water, you can safely work the corn between your hands to rub off the remaining nubs and skin and rinse again.

Yes, You use a lot of water.

Place rinsed nub free corn into a pot and cover with 1 inch of water. Boil 5 minutes and change the water. Repeat 4 x. This removes any left over lye from the corn and cleans impurities. It allows you to remove any unwanted dark corn kernals. and you will see a color difference in the water. When it is ready, the water will have gone from brown to tan to creamy clear.

Finally bring the cleaned hominy to a boil with clean water and cook 30 - 45 minutes to finish softening the corn and plumping it.

Drain the hominy and fill hot sterile jars, leaving 1 inch of head space.
Add 1/2 tsp canning salt per pint; 1 tsp to quarts.
Fill jars to within 1 inch of the top of the jar with clean boiling water. Remove air bubbles, wipe jar rims, adjust sterile lids and process in a pressure canner. (Hominy will swell so leave room.)
10 pounds of pressure: Pints 60 minutes, quarts 70 minutes.

10 cups of clean yellow dried corn will make 20 cups of yellow hominy filling 10 pint jars. with some left over.
You can use prepped hominy right away in your favorite recipe or store in your refrigerator up to a week.
You can dehydrate hominy and grind it for grits.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom