Okies in the BYC The Original

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
This works GREAT as a bantom brood pen. I designed and built two of them a little over a year ago I guess, so this is the second winter my birds have been in these pens, no worries, they do just fine. Follow this link:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=39717-how-to-build-a-brood-pen

Matt

Thanks for this design plan. Looks like a good project for Jonah & Daddy and I bet we have enough scrap lumber to do it.

MAllen, welcome back!
frow.gif

Morning Okie friends! Low of 9 last night.The snow has stopped but not the wind! I dread watering this morning. Now they are calling for possible ice tomorrow! Ended up with about 5 inches but lots of deep drifts too.
hide.gif

Nice to hear all the nice compliments on you guys!
thumbsup.gif
Chickens do seem to bring out the best in people.

Artzy I like the pic of the frozen duck! You just wonder how they manage to keep from freezing. I have to be sure and put water in small containers for my pigeons because no matter how cold they think they need to take a bath if there is fresh water available. Then they walk around with frozen feathers!
idunno.gif

Quote:
They should be fine as long as the wind is off of them.

Hey MAllen, it has been awhile since you have been around!! Are you doing okay?!! How are your birds?

Hey Sooner!

I've been fine, other than being one of the lucky Okie's to catch whooping cough. Few trips to the indian hospital here in Claremore helped, but it really just has to run it's course I guess. I'm just getting over it and it's been about a month. Not working this winter, all work and no play really blows.

The birds are doing fine. I'm working on my production reds, breeding them for size and egg production. The entire bottom shelf of our frig is full of eggs! Maria sells them to the gals she works with, but my hens are in mass production mode right now! I have an awesome production red rooster, he has the biggest & broadest chest of any red I've ever seen. I'm breeding him to 5 hens that all consistantly produce brown eggs that are 2.5 ounces by weight or larger. So what I'm hoping to end up with is a flock of large reds that lay a lot of extra large brown eggs.

I bred an EE hen to my PR rooster, I have a hen out of them that lays olive green eggs. It's an odd looking color for an egg, takes some getting used to I guess.

My Roundheads are doing great! I have my best roundhead rooster in a brood pen with 1 roundhead, 2 hatch, and 2 butcher hens. They are some very intense birds, I named the rooster "Son Of Sam" (Sam for short), cause he's a serial killer at heart. I hope to have chicks out of them in the spring, the market for them is still very strong.

Well, that's 'bout it I guess.... I lead such an exciting life don'tcha know.

Matt

MAllen, sorry about the whooping cough. I was reading about that the other day. It scares me because my DD is allergic to the vacine. We almost lost her when she took the shot as a baby. I am not for sure what they would do if she came down with it. Hopefully there are new drugs to help.

Those reds sound awesome. Should be some great chicks.

GOOD MORNING EVERYONE

This weekend turned out to be a BUSY one for us...

Our chickens are laying like crazy again but we are not complaining... we decided to clean out the nesting boxes so they could lay in fresh hay...

Saturday we picked up a new barn baby and named her Clara Ann aka "CLAIRE"

Sunday we picked up Hay and feed for the birds and cubes for the calf... Hubster decided he wanted another barn baby so whola (he currently has no name)

100_4968.jpg

Today they "officially" are learning their duties... they are currently in the Turkey/ Duck pen.. and not enjoying it so much.. HA HA HA HA

BUSTER: LOOKING FORWARD TO SATURDAY... I LOVE LEARNING and Cant Wait for you and the Mrs to come over and show us the ropes of processing our birds....

(anyone else wanna come over and watch then head over to the auction afterwards.. (then we can come back and process more birds.. ha ha ha ha.. lol)

Last edited:
Quote:
Soooo glad you had a good time! I wish we could have met. It seems like I talked to people all day long but still never made a dent in meeting everyone.
Wish we could at least control the wind. It is usually blowing here when it stops in we start think yh oh something is about to happen.
I wish this show was in early November. We usually have really nice weather in October and early November.
I ahaven't been to the show in Shawnee yet when it wasn't cold.
I stayed inside as much as possible.
Come back and visit anytime and maybe we can hook you up with some chickens. Our big Okie get together will be in the spring so try and come if you can.
Also just pop on here when you can for a visit.

Last edited:
Smoothmule, Glad you made it home ok and that you had a good time.
I also wish I could have met you guys. Glad you got to do a little bit around the city before heading back.
The next time you plan a trip this way, gives a heads up and we can help you find some chickens to take back.
Where do you live? I have lots of relatives in Missouri but rarely get to see them.
We have our big Okie chicken gathering in the spring and you are invited to come if you like.
Pop in here once in awhile and let us know how you are doing. Or better yet just join us.
Monty

Mallen, Glad you are still among us. We were talking about you and your fine birds at lunch the other day and I told Greybear I was have to track you down and see if you were Ok. Then you just appeared.
We must be on the same physic plain or something.
glad you back.
I am thinking about getting some gamebirds in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom