Old and Rare Breeds

Quote:
Nice! I like the blue red pattern.

Walt

Thanks Walt. By the way, if I want a new Standard can I just send in a check? If so, how much do I need to send?

Send $59.00 to the APA Secretary. You should be able to order it on the APA web page.

Walt

Quote:
I have bantam Malays. For Standard size Malays you need to contact Carl Brantley in Wilkesboro, NC. Last I heard, Carl was selling 1 dozen hatching eggs for $100.

Thank you - found a contact email (I hope) and sent it. Wow on the price. Is that what this breed usually goes for? I may just have to suck it up and wait until the Crossroads and see if I can get two pullets there - and least I wouldn't have the gamble of mailed eggs.

Thanks again!

Quote:
I have bantam Malays. For Standard size Malays you need to contact Carl Brantley in Wilkesboro, NC. Last I heard, Carl was selling 1 dozen hatching eggs for $100.

Thank you - found a contact email (I hope) and sent it. Wow on the price. Is that what this breed usually goes for? I may just have to suck it up and wait until the Crossroads and see if I can get two pullets there - and least I wouldn't have the gamble of mailed eggs.

Thanks again!

They aren't cheap that is for sure. Typical prices (that I've seen) are $75 for a young stag/pullet and $100 or better for a cock/hen.

Eggs are indeed a crap-shoot. If I had the choice I'd wait too. However, I will tell you that at the last Crossroads show Paul Witt and myself were about the only one's there selling Orientals. I was there before the thing opened and about the last to leave I think and I never saw any others.... honestly.

Another option would be to contact Carl and buy a pullet from him and have it shipped. More costly than the eggs but you do end up with something. You might also call Ronnie Proffit in FL and get a pullet from him. (Tell him I said for you to call).

Two other excellent sources would be Billy Bender and Jim Zook. You can use me as a reference with any of these folks. Since Billy and Jim are in PA they might be close enough for you to drive too?

Quote:

Thanks again!

They aren't cheap that is for sure. Typical prices (that I've seen) are $75 for a young stag/pullet and $100 or better for a cock/hen.

Eggs are indeed a crap-shoot. If I had the choice I'd wait too. However, I will tell you that at the last Crossroads show Paul Witt and myself were about the only one's there selling Orientals. I was there before the thing opened and about the last to leave I think and I never saw any others.... honestly.

Another option would be to contact Carl and buy a pullet from him and have it shipped. More costly than the eggs but you do end up with something. You might also call Ronnie Proffit in FL and get a pullet from him. (Tell him I said for you to call).

Two other excellent sources would be Billy Bender and Jim Zook. You can use me as a reference with any of these folks. Since Billy and Jim are in PA they might be close enough for you to drive too?

Wow - can't believe that about the Crossroads! I guess I envision it as the show where everything you can't see at other shows, you can see there. I have contacted Jim Zook sometime in the last couple of years, and I was under the impression that he either no longer had them or was getting out of them. I wrote to Carl Brantley last night just to se if I got the right email, and he responded, so I wrote him back with my sob story this morning. I think I may have to go the shipped pullet route. I'm too new at hatching to trust myself with such a rare breed.

Well, if that's the price, that's the price. I don't mind paying what they are worth, but I never heard what the range might be. I have paid that much for birds before, and they are pretty spectacular. Not that I'm made of money, but when you go down to the coop everyday, and there they are, looking so awesome, it's like a gift everyday.

Thanks so much!! I'll let you know what I find out.

Glad to be of service.

Thanks for the info Walt. I hope to send in my money in the next couple of weeks or so.

Eatin'Dirt :

Is McMurry a good place to buy these old breeds?

No. Definitely no.

Most of them, McMurray does not offer (and if they do, they're lying or crossbred) - The breeds they do are so far from the old standard and origin type, it is sad.​

Eatin'Dirt :

Is McMurry a good place to buy these old breeds?

No hatchery is a good place to buy truly good quality birds. Sure, by definition, they may be purebred. But when you're hatching literally thousand of chicks a day, how much emphasis do you think the hatcheries put on quality? Get your meaties there, nothing else. There are too many people out there with nice birds.​

I have a breeder pair of bantam shamos, got 2 babies and a dozen more eggs in bator and about that many more stored up...I got them from richard besser of tulsa oklahoma....a gray hen under a white dom cock

Back
Top Bottom