Older chickens kicking younger ones out of nesting box

babybaits

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
We have 6 hens that we've had for a year. Our newest ones just started to lay eggs but we're finding the eggs in the run instead of the nesting boxes which is in the coop. We believe the older hens are kicking them out. Could we just put some milk crates with hay in them in a corner of the run? Will the new hens know what to do?

Some people have nests in the run. As long as they stay dry in a driving rain I don't see a big problem. Depending in how rough your winters are I might consider that. But I'm not sure that is the problem.

I'd also be interested in how many new birds are laying now and how many nests you have. Also, do the adults spend most of their time in the coop or outside? Are those eggs in the run always in the same place or are they scattered at random? How many eggs are you finding out there and how long has it been going on?

A lot of the time pullets know the first egg is coming and have a plan of where to lay it. Usually they take their clues from the adults and lay where the adults are laying. But usually doesn't mean always. Some seem to not know that egg is coming and just drop it wherever they happen to be. That could be from the roost if the urge hits them then or just walking around in the coop and run. Typically they gain control in a few days and start laying when and where they want to. The whole egg laying process is so complicated I'm often amazed at how many get it right from the start.

If you are finding the eggs in the same place every day then that is where she has decided to make her nest. It is not always in the nests you want them to use. If the eggs are scattered at random she does not have control yet but should gain that pretty soon.

Usually does not mean always but usually when my pullets start laying it's like a right of passage. The older hens stop bullying them and accept them into the main flock. It's always possible you can have a brute that keeps bullying them but I find that to be rare. I had one of those about ten years ago. It is the only one of those I ever had.

It's hard to tell which ones are laying and which aren't yet. The older ones stay outside the coop. We have 3 nesting boxes and 13 hens. I haven't witnessed them getting kicked out of the boxes, only bullying them in the run, so I just figured maybe that's what's going on. It's only been a few times so I'll wait and see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom