Olive egger or barred rock?

Looks more like a Barred Rock to me, but I have been told that Easter Eggers can be just about any mix of breeds. FWIW, I have one chicken that lays green eggs. I think they are extra special. But none of our customers want a green egg in their dozen they buy from us. So Dear Wife and I eat all our green eggs. No matter what, she sure looks pretty and I hope she is a good layer for you.

With this discussion, now I know my pullets and cockerels are also related to Barred rock and Marans, thanks for the sharings. I just bought the eggs from a local farmer. Among the 6 hatched, 3 pullets and 3 cockerels.

3 Pullets look quite similar.

34230.jpg

1 cockerel is more yellow orange color (no ideal which breeds from his parent birds)

33824(1).jpg

But the other two cockerels should be the offsprings of Barred rock and Marans.
34231.jpg

33240_0.jpg

I heard Barred rock is a breed with a quite mild and nice temperament, so hopefully, the cockerels will be gentlemen :D

With this discussion, now I know my pullets and cockerels are also related to Barred rock and Marans, thanks for the sharings. I just bought the eggs from a local farmer. Among the 6 hatched, 3 pullets and 3 cockerels.

3 Pullets look quite similar.

View attachment 2852268

1 cockerel is more yellow orange color (no ideal which breeds from his parent birds)

View attachment 2852274

But the other two cockerels should be the offsprings of Barred rock and Marans.
View attachment 2852276
View attachment 2852277

I heard Barred rock is a breed with a quite mild and nice temperament, so hopefully, the cockerels will be gentlemen :D
Cutie 🥰

I have a black copper maran. I’m hoping that’s the case! That she just happened to look similar to a barred rock. I love her anyway! But I was just really hoping for some olive eggs. I can see how it would be a chancing it though like you said.
Hi! I have an olive egger pullet that looks exactly like yours. What was the final egg color after yours started laying??

A few months ago we picked up 2 olive egger chicks and one maran chick.
But now as I’m looking at one of our olive egger chicks I’m seeing she looks like a barred rock. She hasn’t started laying yet so I don’t know. But I was really hoping for olive eggs.
Is it possible for her to look like a barred rock and still be an olive egger?
So my question is from the pictures do you suspect barred rock or olive egger?
I hope the breeder didn’t make a mistake. But I love her none the less.
Got what I thought was a barred rock but she's laying greenish blue eggs. Got two white leghorns but one is laying brown eggs so I'm assuming she's a white rock. Then it all changed today. I have three hens, collect eggs daily, and today there were four eggs... two white, one blue, and one brown. I'm getting up before the sun and going to the coop to see who's laying what egg bcz I don't know and researching answers isn't helping..

Back
Top Bottom