OMG...I see a pip but hen turned it...

gambit2178

Songster
8 Years
Oct 6, 2011
CALI
I went to check on my girls and to my surprise one egg has a pip or open hole in the shell. Then momma went ahead and turned it on it's side...I can hear the little one making some noise in there.
I learned from many posts in here to just leave them alone, but I'm afraid the hen might turn it again...do I just keep an eye on them?
OMG so nervous as if I'm having a child..

Every hen I've ever seen on eggs has turned them until the chick is out, you make her get up she has to move them when she sits back down. Hens don't "lock down" 3 days before chicks start pipping, or even when they're pipping and zipping. If they did I'd hate to see the poo they'd drop when they finally left the nest.
Lock down is for stability in artificial incubation. I say leave the hen be and let her do her thing.

Just checke don her again...she turned it again...pip is up, but is under her feathers. Would air be able to circulate, little one still making noise. I thought they usually cracked the egg all around before making an opening, from the looks of it, the white membrane is torn but I can't see any more pip and I don't want to touch it to see the condition. This is my first chick and I don't want to lose it.

Back
Top Bottom