OMG! I think i killed all my ducks! HELP!

Glad everyone is ok.
Mine eat these all the time with no problem. Not that many at once though.
The hill-site behind my house is literally alive with these guys. Just walking through the grass makes them hop away by the dozens…
I assume it was the shier amount they ate at once or the hoppers had some noxious plant material in their digestive systems. I assume it was the amount the ducks ate. Blanca Duck always eats a lot of - everything and she was OK after she pooped. The other ducks are just not used to that amount of protein, i guess i would throw up too after the fifth duck egg…

Well, it's not a lubber, those babies are black.
What plants grow in the field? Anything toxic to ducks?

Most animals can throw up. The exceptions are rabbits, horses, cows, and possibly a couple of others.
I have no idea what grows there, it is mostly grass over a meter tall (3'-4') but of course with a lot of non grass stuff growing in between.

Morning update: The Duckies are OK! All of them!
full
:wee
But the duck-house… :sick
Stinky diarrhea everywhere! The whole house looks like a porta-potty after an important football game that went wrong. I have to clean it again today.
full
It's not fair to write stuff like this and say no laughing emojis allowed. I have literally laughed out loud more at this thread than anything else this entire year so far.

I am sorry that you had such a scary experience and that your ducks were sick. I'm glad everyone is ok.

You should seriously consider writing short stories or something though. We need more funny stuff in the world.

Last edited:
Vomiting can be a life-saving reflex. It certainly saved these ducks; without it they likely would have gorged themselves to death. Too much of a good thing and all that.
Agree completely! - But it was a scary, scary view. I didn't know that ducks can throw up and i thought they would stop eating once they're full. Maybe too many tasty morsel too quickly?

Agree completely! - But it was a scary, scary view. I didn't know that ducks can throw up and i thought they would stop eating once they're full. Maybe too many tasty morsel too quickly?

I only have chickens, but I can totally imagine them eating way too many of some little hoppy thing. They are so excited for a beetle or caterpillar!

Back
Top Bottom