Omg Please Read!!

BigBird31

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 21, 2011
I have new baby chicken!!!
My one is called BBJ for Big bird junior. Please tell me how to raise it so it will like me!

clap.gif

Congrats! Always so exciting getting new chicks.
Chooks tend to love whoever gives them their food
wink.png

Congratulations on the new arrival!
ya.gif

I agree with Ray's Two Cents.....chickens LOVE whoever feeds them.
love.gif
Our chicks were a bit aloof for a while, but once they were moved from the brooder to the coop, and started getting treats from the whole family, they turned into a pack of dogs. Really....they follow us everywhere! Several of them will get up in our laps if they think we have treats or we DO have treats and aren't passing them out fast enough.

We do have a couple that are pretty shy, so while they do come running for treats, they prefer to stay back and not be handled too much. The rest can be in-your-face-obnoxious.
yippiechickie.gif

If you want it to be REALLY tame, hold it and carry it around quite a bit. Not too much while it's tiny, but as it gets bigger, hold it more.

Good news for you! Only one. Well you can always make it a house pet. Just kidding! Just follow the advice here on the forum you'll do great. Here on the homestead everytime we go out the door to the chick yard they come running, we always carry treats they love meal worms. I have a couple that's having a bad hair day today , their molting.

Chicks are so adorable! Ours are 5 months old now & definitely "underfoot" whenever we go outside, they always act like they are Starving even though they have free range in our garden, compost bin, and chickie pellets in their feeders (grin!) I'm bummed they don't hop in my lap though, the best time to pet my ladies is at their bedtime
smile.png
Have fun!

Teach it how to drink, and eat by placing its beak in the water. then hold it and keep it warm. other chicks are good to have with it as well, but if not a stuffed animal when it is sleeping to huddle next to. i just placed an order for 50 chicks i cant wait for them to get here next week.

Quote:
1 baby? You need a teddy bear real fluffy and soft to snuggle with. or some new friends sooner the better
A large box with wood shavings
1 heat lamp with different watt bulbs. 250heat lamp, 150 flood light and a 100 watt to adjust the heat.
Thermometer 85 the first week and lower by 5 degrees each week until fully feathered.
Water dish with electrolytes and vitamins like Vita Sol for all fowl
Food tray with medicated food chick feed
A little perch any branch will do that will hold the weight
Maybe a casserole pan with sand and D.E. (diatomaceous earth) in it

Welcome to the BYC
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom