OMG! WHATS WRONG?!

chickencheeper

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jun 4, 2017
Massachusetts
My Coop
My Coop
Blossom has been acting strange for about a month now(head tucked in, yellowish feathers around her eyes) originally I thought she was eggbound but it’s been so long so she probably isn’t. Today I found her in bad shape-
DB0B86E3-7F08-43E3-9069-D1C6709BD090.jpeg
2CE0676A-9504-4502-B811-898095A16F6D.jpeg

What’s wrong?! What do I need to do?! I don’t have a lot of time(leaving for school at 8:00) the other chickens are guarding her and she isn’t moving when I try to pick her up, she is usually terrified of me and runs away.
Her tail has been down and no discharge from her eyes that I can see, she’s less than a year old.
She moved positions but the chickens are still guarding her, I can’t get any good pics
BC024F00-033C-4FA9-84C9-FBECDC62B78C.jpeg
8BD19471-1A8B-4F2B-A0C4-D5EE60A944A8.jpeg
35990106-88B9-497B-804F-C7E411A8B4C0.jpeg
7BB86A9F-A713-42C6-B3F2-618AF433EEAF.jpeg
ADF5611C-81EB-4D5C-B8F9-17B105378235.jpeg
51F088C3-4365-46E8-A12A-856629405854.jpeg

Last edited:
If this has been going on for a month already, from the looks of how Blossom is tucking herself into a corner, it would appear she is in the late stage of a serious illness. You can try an antibiotic, but it might be too late to save her. The time to treat a chicken is when you first see her start to behave differently.

Those yellowish feathers around the eyes lead me to ask, have you noticed any discharge from her eyes or nares? Have you noticed any of the other chickens with runny eyes or runny "nose". Any other chickens acting not quite right? Have you noticed any weird poop? Have you heard any sneezing?

If this has been going on for a month already, from the looks of how Blossom is tucking herself into a corner, it would appear she is in the late stage of a serious illness. You can try an antibiotic, but it might be too late to save her. The time to treat a chicken is when you first see her start to behave differently.

Those yellowish feathers around the eyes lead me to ask, have you noticed any discharge from her eyes or nares? Have you noticed any of the other chickens with runny eyes or runny "nose". Any other chickens acting not quite right? Have you noticed any weird poop? Have you heard any sneezing?
Haven’t seen any discharge or weird behavior in other chickens. I feel so guilty cause I didn’t treat it right away, I did post threads though

Don't feel guilty. There are things that can't be treated, and chickens die from these things much more often than from treatable illnesses. The most common is oviduct infection which is so serious, even a vet usually can't save a hen. There are organic diseases such as kidney, liver, and heart failure. This is what I suspect is what's wrong with your hen. These diseases often are rooted in a flaw in the chicken's DNA. Just as heart or kidney disease can kill a human at an early age, chickens die of it, too.

If your family budget can afford it, when this hen dies, you could have an agricultural lab do a necropsy and that will tell you exactly why she was sick and died. It is a wise thing to do so you will know whether or not there is a virus behind this that is going to affect your entire flock. Or it might show something that you need to treat the entire flock for immediately to prevent losing any more chickens.

Back
Top Bottom