On oprah right now , how our meat is raised

yeah, chicknmama. Im already on that bandwagon. We get an all-natural grass-fed heifer every year. They butcher in early spring right after the first heavy growth of field grass. The beef is the most tender I've ever had and, by far, the least expensive...cheaper than hamburger.

Quote:
You make it sound so easy....just build onto their sheds...make more room. If only it were that easy. Who's going to pay for all these building expansions? Most of we farmers scrape by as it is and have very little profit margin as it is.

I'm saying the FDA should mandate small changes over a length of time... as such tax breaks would roll in, and people would have like 10 years or so to a little here and there.

Its just how the system should work... everyone wants changes, and wants them now... I think if the effort is put through a little here and a little there things can change.

Besides if we can just PRINT a trillion dollars and throw it to the banks, why can't they give tax breaks and loans to farms trying to better the quality of life for the people who buy their food.

I don't expect the government to actually step up like that, but it would be nice.

Actually just a bit of research will go a long way. There are places out there that treat their animals humanely, and that is where we should be buying our products from. Even batteries, though I won't buy store bought eggs because no one knows where they come from. But packaged beef, and pork products, you have the option to do a little research and find out who is humane and who isn't.

Quote:
You make it sound so easy....just build onto their sheds...make more room. If only it were that easy. Who's going to pay for all these building expansions? Most of we farmers scrape by as it is and have very little profit margin as it is.

hi katy..please dont take this wrong..i am not directing this at you at all..as i'm sure your animals are taken care of quite well..
smile.png
..but , i just have to say...to the ones that are only concerned with a profit margin...um...then get out of the business..these are REAL LIVE, feeling, THINKING animals here...when we start to worry more about the profit than the BASIC humane care of these animals....all i ask of them is to please..get ANOTHER job!!..pigs are very smart..4th smartest creature on the planet...lets think about that..please.(its like having a toddler in a small cage..honestly..read up on them)...but thats just my dumb, uneducated opinion .....Peace, Wendy

And here he is with his very own trained groomers!...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm56/redhen1/2008_08290034.jpg

Heres Dyson with his "musical cow"..he pushes it when i tell him to..it plays music...he also has a little thing that hangs on cribs..
roll.png
..i know!..I KNOW!!.(i got issues!!..).and when i tell him to go nite,nite..he pushes it..and it plays a lullaby for him at night...lol..so..noone can tell me that pigs have no feelings...nope..

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm56/redhen1/2008_08150020.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm56/redhen1/2008_08150017.jpg

DONT MIND THE MESSY PEN..it was when he was younger..and i had to wet down his food for him...and he was a messy pig!...
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:

hi katy..please dont take this wrong..i am not directing this at you at all..as i'm sure your animals are taken care of quite well..
smile.png
..but , i just have to say...to the ones that are only concerned with a profit margin...um...then get out of the business..these are REAL LIVE, feeling, THINKING animals here...when we start to worry more about the profit than the BASIC humane care of these animals....all i ask of them is to please..get ANOTHER job!!..pigs are very smart..4th smartest creature on the planet...lets think about that..please.(its like having a toddler in a small cage..honestly..read up on them)...but thats just my dumb, uneducated opinion .....Peace, Wendy

I don't know if you've got or have ever had any direct connection to agriculture, but what most people who haven't don't understand is that is isn't just a job, it's a lifestyle completely interwoven with your job. Most farms have had many generations (my grankidskids are the sixth) living on them trying to make a living, so to just say get another job isn't that easy....that's asking them to give up not only their job, but basically their whole life. If a person who raises livestock isn't allowed a profit margin, what are they supposed to live on. A person can't be involved raising cattle, pigs, chickens or any other kind of animal and not care about them. Believe me, the rancher (my husband and I included) who doesn't care isn't going to be out in the middle of the night checking heifers who are due to calve. Believe me that's not much fun when it's cold and wet out. My dad had some hogs when I was growing up and we didn't keep them in crates. They were always fighting and slashing each other open.....is that better? Personally I don't think so. As far as comparing them to putting a toddler in a small cage....if you have kids, did you never put them in a playpen to keep them from getting hurt?

Do I think that animals think and feel? Yes, I do, but they are not humans and people need to quit thinking that they think and feel the same way humans do.

Back
Top Bottom