One Breed or Several?

a74aggie

Chirping
13 Years
Sep 26, 2010
East Texas
As a relative new chicken owner, I have had some pretty bad luck starting out. Let's just say that after trapping and killing 3 coyotes that were jumping my fence in the middle of the day, I am down to 4 layers after starting out with 9. My first mistake was having so few, because now that it is winter, my egg production has dropped to almost none. In fact, I have 2 Barred Rocks that have not even laid an egg in weeks. My Buff Orpington and Swedish Flower still lay an egg about every other day or every third day.
So, I am planning on basically starting over by ordering 25 chicks this spring, but should I stay with just one breed or should I mix and match so to speak.
My goal is to have some broody chickens that can keep my flock numbers up so 1.) I can sell chickens and 2.) I don't have to raise chicks any longer and 3.) I can have enough eggs to sell all year long.
Is my plan making any sense or am I crazy and have no idea what I am doing?

I don't think your crazy at all... learning the loss the worst way stinks I am sorry for your loss but think you have the right idea finding the broody is not easy and almost impossible if it a hatchery bird.. go to your state thread see who has peeps coming up get girls from them Silkies a bantam breed still go broody also .. stay on track do not loose hope you have a pretty good plan

I think mixing it up is a good idea, but if your primary interest is egg production, you will want to limit your potentially broody birds, and also make sure they are decent egg layers when not broody. My Black Copper Marans and Buff Orpingtons are fairly good layers who also, occasionally, go broody. (Although I have had fairly prolific Easter Eggers who also brood, and they add color to your egg collection.)
Do a bit of research, and then choose an assortment that meets your needs. And, have fun! :)

As far as your plan goes. Are you doing it for a hobby, pay for feed costs, or profit?

Feed cost is going to prevent just about any profit with so few chickens.

Is there a market for selling chickens in your area? There is a lot of liability involved and should be tested for disease at least yearly. Just having chicks to sell doesn't help the breed and how are people about buying mutts?

Just some things to think about.

If I were in your shoes I'd go for ISA browns and leghorns (or one or the other). They will give you white and brown eggs and eat little feed compared to dual purpose breeds. then get a few of another breed for broody hens. Game hens would be what I would go with.

This would give you lots of eggs on minimal feed intake on range. Predator weary, but they're still chickens. It would give you a nice baseline to start and learn, while keeping it pretty simple. As you learn and grow you'll see what way to expand.

Leghorns breed true and sell well. I don't believe ISA browns breed true, but a leghorn cock over an ISA hen should produce decent mutt layers.

There are some state guidelines with selling eggs on your site vs. a farmer's market type thing, so you may wish to investigate. That being said I love my leghorn chicken and wish I would have gotten more. She is a prolific layer, nearly daily, but the breed is not known for broody. i was suppose to be sent ISA browns, too, but I think I got RIR breed instead. Still a nice chicken.

Hey there,

Nothing crazy about your plan at all. Personally, I'll continue to have a mixed flock for contrast in many different ways.
If you get just one breed... that's what you'll be stuck with unless you add in the future. Since you're reasonably new to chickens in the long run, it's best to start out with a mixed flock so you can learn about what breed you like in order to know in the future.

Also, having a mixed flock will help you learn which breed is a better layer... Granted, you may not tell the eggs apart when they start laying... But after a few times of seeing which hen likes which box in particular or witnessing a certain hen nest in a certain box... You'll start to figure out the patterns. ;)

Best of luck, I really hope this info helps you on your journey. Have a nice evening and God bless. Please keep us filled in along the way as well! :)

Regards,
-The Angry Hen

Thank you all. Excellent points and ideas that I did not think of. :thumbsup
My goal is to work this into a profit thing.....eventually. (Also, I want to raise my own meat and eggs) Eggs and Chickens sell real well in my area, and I have the ability to separate different breeds as far as breeding goes. I think I will have more than one breed. Much appreciated and I will keep you informed !!

Back
Top Bottom