One Egg?!? Are they kidding me?

My girls haven't given me an egg in three weeks and the yard looks like a feather pillow fight explosion.
sad.png

I guess I'll be a member of the "my chickens are molting and now I'm not getting any eggs" club! I've been so spoiled by my EEs, which started laying at the end of last January, and each were giving me an egg almost every day. Then all of a sudden a few weeks ago, started noticing more feathers than usual in the yard, and have gone several days with only 1 egg in the nest (from 3 hens) and now it's been 2 days with no eggs at all! I only have room for 3 chickens in my suburban neighborhood (and even those 3 aren't legal), but I wish I could keep a couple more. I actually had to buy grocery store eggs the other day (YUKK!) for the first time in 7 months because I haven't been getting enough from the 3 girls...

They should be in the middle of their peak laying age (they are 14 months old), but I'm getting the feeling I'm going to have to expect a lot less production now that the days are getting shorter.

not just you what ever it is its wide spread I have 19 and got 1 egg today..
barnie.gif
I wonder if it has something to do with the extreme weather this past summer?
idunno.gif

Pink

I guess we've been lucky to have had so many eggs already (3 dozen since last month....).

We have 6 NHRs and they are about 5.5 months old this week. The first one started laying on the Friday before Labor day and we've had 2 more (3?) start laying since then.

We get 1 or 2 eggs one day, and 3 or four the next. A day of rest comes about every 3 days and we may get one egg on those days.....

Besides molting, they say they need at least 12 to 14 hours of light - could this be the problem for some of you? I know here in Michigan it's getting dark at my house at 7:30PM ish...Sun doesn't come up till 7:45 ish AM I have a light with a timer in the coop that doesn't shut off till 8:30
cool.png

My usual take is 8 - 11 eggs a day. Day before yesterday I got ONE. Yesterday five, but that was only after checking as I locked them in for the night.

And yes, they have been having some pillow fights in the yard here, too. Most everybody but three sad looking chickens looks okay, and those 3 can't possibly have contributed all those feathers everywhere.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom