One Egg?!? Are they kidding me?

Ok, well, I got 5 today. One was a banty, so its more like 4.5. But that's still better than one. I didn't give them their 6 grain treat thiis morning, so maybe they got the hint!
lau.gif
yea right! We will see tomorrow. Maybe if I give them theiir treats in the evening, after they earned it, they will start to understand the relationship we have going.....

Quote:

I am curious, when they were at their peak where they giving you "just enough" eggs or did you feel like you had an over abundance???

During the peak, we were getting about 18 eggs/week from our 3 girls. For our family of five, that was plenty for us to eat plus share a few with family & friends. The problem that we're going to be facing soon, is that we really don't like the idea of having more than 3 chickens (because they're not legal where we live, our current coop only has room for 3 chickens, and those 3 are already VERY noisy), but after next summer, our 3 chickens (by then 2 years old) probably won 't produce enough eggs for us. We do think of them as pets, so eating/getting rid of them is not high on my list of options. I honestly have no idea what we'll do then...

Quote:
I am curious, when they were at their peak where they giving you "just enough" eggs or did you feel like you had an over abundance???

During the peak, we were getting about 18 eggs/week from our 3 girls. For our family of five, that was plenty for us to eat plus share a few with family & friends. The problem that we're going to be facing soon, is that we really don't like the idea of having more than 3 chickens (because they're not legal where we live, our current coop only has room for 3 chickens, and those 3 are already VERY noisy), but after next summer, our 3 chickens (by then 2 years old) probably won 't produce enough eggs for us. We do think of them as pets, so eating/getting rid of them is not high on my list of options. I honestly have no idea what we'll do then...

The reason I was wondering is that I KNOW that it will be a temptation to give away eggs when I start getting them. But there are threads on here about how long eggs will last..(which is a lot longer than I thought.) If you hadn't given the eggs away and made sure to just eat the oldest eggs first...would you still be short?

I don't like the idea of "stock piling" eggs. The best thing about having your own chickens is being able to eat a freshly laid egg. I know they have a decent shelf life, but I doubt you could work it to where you could "save up" during the summer months to have enough eggs for when they lay less in the winter.

Quote:
Well, it is my understanding that eggs that you receive in the grocery store can be weeks old anyway...so if you had weeks old of your eggs at least it would be better than weeks old of their eggs...I suppose it would depend on how long the dry spell lasts.

Back
Top Bottom