duckduckchickenrun

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2017
hey,
so i got two ducklings from a market, i have no idea what breed they are but im sure they have imprinted on each other as when ever i remove one from the other they start screaming, now im scared that one of the ducklings might pass away... so what do i do to keep the other duckling happy or from getting lonely? btw there are no more ducklings you can get from my market as the season is off so the option to get my duckling another companion is limited..

At almost 1 month old they may not be completely feathered in. They should not be out in temps lower than 70* if you use the standard measurements for keeping ducklings. 85 first week 5 degrees lower each week after that. You keep them in a bucket? can you find a large plastic tote to keep them in? They need to be able to eat drink and move around in their brooder.

I'd give them till at least 6 weeks of age and fully feathered before they spend any time outside. Especially at those temps. On nice warm days when wind isn't blowing hard take them outside in the sunshine for a while but if you see them huddle together or lay down a lot they are cold and will need to go inside. Will they be living in their own house over winter or be inside? You will need to acclimate them to the temps outside by taking them out on nice days before you put them outside for good.

IMG_2072.JPG
Won't die....See mine got out daily...

I'd give them till at least 6 weeks of age and fully feathered before they spend any time outside. Especially at those temps. On nice warm days when wind isn't blowing hard take them outside in the sunshine for a while but if you see them huddle together or lay down a lot they are cold and will need to go inside. Will they be living in their own house over winter or be inside? You will need to acclimate them to the temps outside by taking them out on nice days before you put them outside for good.

X2
With it just being the 2 of them, outside activity should be limited and supervised... they need a big brooder as well, big enough that they are comfortable staying in it and not trying to get out...

its not showing any signs, both my ducklings are almost a month old so they dont like to be confined to a bucket they like to roam around the house and the yard, but im scared that if i keep letting them out one might die due to the cold as im sure its taking a toll on them...
23 degrees is too cold. Keep them in a warm brooder.

Back
Top Bottom