One lonely chick (feather duster are you my momma)?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by allquackedup, Sep 12, 2009.

1. allquackedup

allquackedup Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    Being new to this idea of raising chickens we found the BYC site and I have to say it has been very entertaining as well as informative. We recently incubated 12 eggs from our RIR's . We managed to get one chick (now named Uno) out of our first try. He/she is now 2wks old. Being alone he seemed very restless. Cheeping constantly. We put a feather duster in with him. (suggested by a BYC'R). Who would have thought but it has worked like a charm. Uno gets under it and peeks out as well as sleeps. So thanks for the idea BYC. We have 14 more on their 8th day so with any luck he will have some real company soon!!!

2. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Great idea. Hope he gets with his new peeps soon. [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Glad you spoke up and WELCOME!!! [​IMG] Good to know it worked for you, I've also heard of hanging a washcloth or rag, gathered up from the center so it dangled down so a chick can get under it too. Feather duster just seems better though don't it!![​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Not only does the feather duster work great, but it makes an already adorable chick even cuter when it peeks out from under it. [​IMG]
    P.S. We need pics!!!!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Congratulations.

6. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Right. Pics. Unwritten BYC rule -- you can't tell us about something adorable unless you also show us, and "peep shows" are my favorite! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  7. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    just had one hatch this morning .. maybe i should try the feather duster idea

8. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    We also have an Uno! I had a duster on standby but was lucky to find some baby Seremas to keep him company. And yes we need pics!!!!

9. Kieyamama

Kieyamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    NorCal
    Love the title to your thread! Love the idea of the feather duster! Love the name Uno! [​IMG]

10. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    I have an Uno too! Hatched July 4th...there was a dose but... [​IMG]
    Mine lives with four mamas (buff orpingtons) and is just another one of the flock right now. He/she is hilarious too! When #1 mama gets up in the nest to lay an egg, Uno goes with her and sits and waits until she's done. It's so funny how much of a big chicken this little one has become.

So...you'll have to be the #1 mama until Uno can have some sisters and brothers. He/she will be rotten by then I'm sure!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by