One lonely chick (feather duster are you my momma)?

allquackedup

Songster
10 Years
Aug 9, 2009
Southern Maryland
Being new to this idea of raising chickens we found the BYC site and I have to say it has been very entertaining as well as informative. We recently incubated 12 eggs from our RIR's . We managed to get one chick (now named Uno) out of our first try. He/she is now 2wks old. Being alone he seemed very restless. Cheeping constantly. We put a feather duster in with him. (suggested by a BYC'R). Who would have thought but it has worked like a charm. Uno gets under it and peeks out as well as sleeps. So thanks for the idea BYC. We have 14 more on their 8th day so with any luck he will have some real company soon!!!

Great idea. Hope he gets with his new peeps soon.
smile.png

frow.gif
Glad you spoke up and WELCOME!!!
ladybug.gif
Good to know it worked for you, I've also heard of hanging a washcloth or rag, gathered up from the center so it dangled down so a chick can get under it too. Feather duster just seems better though don't it!!
big_smile.png

Not only does the feather duster work great, but it makes an already adorable chick even cuter when it peeks out from under it.
big_smile.png

P.S. We need pics!!!!

Last edited:
Right. Pics. Unwritten BYC rule -- you can't tell us about something adorable unless you also show us, and "peep shows" are my favorite!
cool.png

Last edited:
We also have an Uno! I had a duster on standby but was lucky to find some baby Seremas to keep him company. And yes we need pics!!!!

I have an Uno too! Hatched July 4th...there was a dose but...
hit.gif

Mine lives with four mamas (buff orpingtons) and is just another one of the flock right now. He/she is hilarious too! When #1 mama gets up in the nest to lay an egg, Uno goes with her and sits and waits until she's done. It's so funny how much of a big chicken this little one has become.

So...you'll have to be the #1 mama until Uno can have some sisters and brothers. He/she will be rotten by then I'm sure!

Back
Top Bottom