One more ? about eating eggs from a hen that ate chick starter

Supermommy486

Songster
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
South Central Texas
See I put out some medicated chick starter for the younger chicks not thinking about them eating it. We ate one of their eggs soon after. For some reason I didn't think that one through and now know we should wait 2-3 weeks before eating their eggs. So, will I grow a 6th toe or sprout feathers? What are the effects of eating eggs from a hen who has eaten medicated food? Thanks!!!!!

You should be able to eat these eggs - the medication is an antibiotic. There will likely be trace amounts in the egg - but not enough to consider.

You don't however want to eat eggs after you give a wormer. Unless you have worms & want to get rid of them! : D

Quote:
gig.gif
lol.png

Oh good! Lol It's the Purina start and grown so I spose it's the Amprolium (Sack's tag was half missing). I think we will give it a couple days then east the eggs, I'm not horribly concerned but we try to stay away from that stuff (abx) so yea.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Sorry, but the most common med. in medicated chick starter - amprolium - is not an antibiotic at all. It's a coccidistat. It retards the growth of cocci, giving the chicks immune system time to take over.
Unless you have a serious allergy to sulphur drugs, eating eggs from pullets that have eaten medicated chick starter then you shouldn't have any problem at all.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom