One more ? about eating eggs from a hen that ate chick starter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Supermommy486, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Supermommy486

Supermommy486 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    See I put out some medicated chick starter for the younger chicks not thinking about them eating it. We ate one of their eggs soon after. For some reason I didn't think that one through and now know we should wait 2-3 weeks before eating their eggs. So, will I grow a 6th toe or sprout feathers? What are the effects of eating eggs from a hen who has eaten medicated food? Thanks!!!!!

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    You should be able to eat these eggs - the medication is an antibiotic. There will likely be trace amounts in the egg - but not enough to consider.

You don't however want to eat eggs after you give a wormer. Unless you have worms & want to get rid of them! : D

3. Foleys

Foleys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Toccoa
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    I'm sorry, but you're a goner for sure. [​IMG]

So long as the medication is only Amprolium (read the tag on the feed sack) you're fine. It's quite safe.

5. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Oh good! Lol It's the Purina start and grown so I spose it's the Amprolium (Sack's tag was half missing). I think we will give it a couple days then east the eggs, I'm not horribly concerned but we try to stay away from that stuff (abx) so yea.
    Thanks so much!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Sorry, but the most common med. in medicated chick starter - amprolium - is not an antibiotic at all. It's a coccidistat. It retards the growth of cocci, giving the chicks immune system time to take over.
    Unless you have a serious allergy to sulphur drugs, eating eggs from pullets that have eaten medicated chick starter then you shouldn't have any problem at all. [​IMG]

7. NewEnglandChick

NewEnglandChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    Midcoast Maine
    A.T. Hagan :

I'm sorry, but you're a goner for sure. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Supermommy486

Apr 8, 2010
    South Central Texas
    Thanks everyone [​IMG]