Ozarkhomesteader

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2014
Arkansas
So, sadly i am doing a bit of a change and selling off most of my flock. My plan is to keep 4 hens and 3 ducks in a tractor that we move around the yard. This will keep them safe from the many predators that are ripping apart my large coop and eating my birds.

i have 2 domestic ducks, a pair. Yesterday i sold i my Muscovy drake, and now i have one female muscovy left. She is living with the 2 domestics and a goose. I have considered keeping her long-term, instead of buying another domestic. However, my concern is she doesn't really communicate with the other ducks since they are totally different birds.

My question: Can she live without another of her kind long-term? I want her to be really happy, and i am fine if that is not with me...just curious what others say.

I think your Muscovy female can learn to live with the other ducks you have my Runners and Buffs and Muscovy's do fine together although there isn't much interaction among them. Muscovy's do speak a different language so maybe just keeping an eye on her for a couple weeks to see how she is doing being the only scovy in the group. If she stays off to herself and starts to act depressed[not eating etc] then you might want to consider rehoming her maybe who ever got the drake would be interested. My Muscovy's hatched and raised Runners and Buffs last year so they did very well with that venture.

She may even befriend your goose since they are more like each other.

Thanks for the reply! I will see. I'm actually selling the goose today, so it will just be ducks and chickens. She has been with just the others for about 2 or 3 weeks since i sold my other females, and she seems ok (eating, and interacting with the other ducks), though she does go off by herself when they are free ranging. But when i had her with the boy for a bit, she seemed happy to talk to him. (the boy was separated because when he only had one girl, he started bullying the goose and other ducks). I just want her to be happy. :)

I did have her listed for sale, but oddly enough, everyone wants my drake, not the girl. I thought it would be opposite lol.

I have one muscovy female with nine domestic ducks and she seems happy. She definitely bosses them around, but she roams with them and sleeps/eats with them. I actually didn't know that it even might be a problem so may now think about getting her another female muscovy friend.

Back
Top Bottom