One of my chickens laid 2 very soft eggs

doglikeme3

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2021
One of my olive egger chickens (~18 weeks) laid 2 very soft-shelled eggs. what do I do/ how do I fix this and prevent it in the future.
The white's and yoke of the egg look normal.

Attachments

• 20210818_220839.jpg
    20210818_220839.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Oyster shell is the standard source for calcium but not all birds will take it, which is why I mentioned egg shells. Limestone is an option if you're worried about any allergic reaction to shellfish or concerned about the sourcing of shells, or possibly as an alternative if the birds won't take oyster shell, but I haven't tried it myself to know if it's something they actually want to eat.
Thank you so much! I saved my shells from breakfast and will try that tomorrow. This may sound odd but chickens can be allergic to shell fish? That’s something that would be on my radar if I tried the oyster shells. Limestone I will look into. Thank you again!

Will they eventually know to go to the nesting box? Instead of dropping the egg out on the roost at night?
It's normal for new layers to have some issues, with shell quality, overall egg quality, holding eggs in. Since they're eating the oyster shells that should help. Soft eggs off the roost doesn't mean the bird doesn't know where the nest box is, but may be having issues holding it in, or pushing it out (where it falls out after they intended).

Thank you for your post and all of the suggestions! My girls, at least two of them are laying underdeveloped eggs. I was getting 5 good eggs a day now I’m getting two maybe three and two off eggs. I will grab some oyster shell the next time I’m at tractor supply. Is there anything else? I did see other egg shells and limestone. I’m feeding the dumor layer crumbles. And just like the poster no other addition source of calcium.

Is there anything else? I did see other egg shells and limestone. I’m feeding the dumor layer crumbles. And just like the poster no other addition source of calcium.
Oyster shell is the standard source for calcium but not all birds will take it, which is why I mentioned egg shells. Limestone is an option if you're worried about any allergic reaction to shellfish or concerned about the sourcing of shells, or possibly as an alternative if the birds won't take oyster shell, but I haven't tried it myself to know if it's something they actually want to eat.

:hmm Good Morning ☀️
I have been getting soft shelled “jelly” eggs for about 2 weeks now. Totaling 5 of them. I have about 30 chickens (12 are at egg laying age and all roost on the same row) where I found the eggs. I know it’s not my ISA Brown as she lays a hard shell egg in the nesting box each morning for the past 4 days. I have gold and silver Wyandotte’s, Bard Rocks and ISA Browns. It’s a rather LARGE soft shelled egg!
Will they eventually know to go to the nesting box? Instead of dropping the egg out on the roost at night?
I am feeding Layer Feed with a side of oyster shell (which they are eating as it’s 1/4 of the way gone).
Any advice?
I’ve read in many blogs and books that this is normal for new layers, but wanted some advice and to see if anyone else was having this same issue :) 58A67874-3A90-41D8-BFB5-CEDC4F81DE66.jpeg 44DD81FB-66CC-495C-9038-3B0F2E1CC0B5.jpeg 65304220-A2F3-4519-8F0F-AAE48818CBFD.jpeg CA206073-E0BB-4A78-A263-36EBF8453885.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom