One of my chicks sleeps way more than the others and doesn’t eat nearly as much as the rest, is she okay?

Hanusaur

Chirping
Mar 14, 2021
My sister brought home 4 baby chicks from our local feed store 5 days ago. I’ve observed them quite a bit since they’ve come home. 3 of them are super energetic and like to run around and flap their little wings. They eat and drink plenty. Those 3 have a routine where they sleep at the same time, and wake up and eat at the same time. But the 4th one isn’t on that routine. She is smaller than the rest, and she sleeps almost all the time. When the others are up eating and scratching around, this little one is still sleeping. When she is up, she stretches and flaps her wings occasionally - so she’s not lifeless. When she eats, she only seems to eat a small amount before sitting back down to sleep. The other ones are just super high energy compared to the little one. All little one wants to do is sit and sleep. She had pasty butt on the first day we had her, and I took care of that with a warm towel.
Are some chicks just more sleepy than others?I’m worried that she isn’t getting enough to eat. The other ones pig out and eat a lot during the day. Little one just doesn’t eat like the others do. She just sleeps 90% of the time. Should I try hand feeding her? I also noticed her “yawning” a lot this morning, stretching her neck out, opening her beak wide and making a peep sound. She was doing it over and over again. But she hasn’t done that in a few hours. She also seems to be preening out a lot of the fluff on her chest, and she’s got a little bald spot there. The one I’m worried about is the one on the right in the photo. She’s very cute and sweet and I want to give her the best chances to live happy and healthy.
9E92B2A3-CE90-4B65-9BE7-FB2C013C71B3.jpeg

My sister brought home 4 baby chicks from our local feed store 5 days ago. I’ve observed them quite a bit since they’ve come home. 3 of them are super energetic and like to run around and flap their little wings. They eat and drink plenty. Those 3 have a routine where they sleep at the same time, and wake up and eat at the same time. But the 4th one isn’t on that routine. She is smaller than the rest, and she sleeps almost all the time. When the others are up eating and scratching around, this little one is still sleeping. When she is up, she stretches and flaps her wings occasionally - so she’s not lifeless. When she eats, she only seems to eat a small amount before sitting back down to sleep. The other ones are just super high energy compared to the little one. All little one wants to do is sit and sleep. She had pasty butt on the first day we had her, and I took care of that with a warm towel.
Are some chicks just more sleepy than others?I’m worried that she isn’t getting enough to eat. The other ones pig out and eat a lot during the day. Little one just doesn’t eat like the others do. She just sleeps 90% of the time. Should I try hand feeding her? I also noticed her “yawning” a lot this morning, stretching her neck out, opening her beak wide and making a peep sound. She was doing it over and over again. But she hasn’t done that in a few hours. She also seems to be preening out a lot of the fluff on her chest, and she’s got a little bald spot there. The one I’m worried about is the one on the right in the photo. She’s very cute and sweet and I want to give her the best chances to live happy and healthy.View attachment 2569694
She has way more energy today than she did during the first week we had her. She’s like a different chick! She’s eating and drinking way more. Very happy :)

Back
Top Bottom