One of my ducks has gone lame??!?!?!?

BarredRockGirls

Songster
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
Ohio
Hellllp!! Ok so this particular duck has always had a issue w this leg since she fell at about 3 weeks old .. It took her a month to get better then she was perfect - 100%
But now she just lays in the yard , takes lots of breaks - her sisters leave her - something they all used to freak out about
1f629.png
. While she's walking she is lop sided barely putting pressure on her left leg . . Even while sitting she holds that left leg up so it doesn't touch ... My first thought is o gawd she has bumble foot or broke some thing? Idk . We don't have any real avian vets around here so that's why I'm asking you my friends here on BYC
1f612.png
plz help! Any advice would help. I can't lock her in my barn - to rest - or my chickens won't be able to lay thru the day... The leg is hot to the touch a bit swollen and there's a scabe on the top? Nothing on either bottoms of her feet . Pics provided.. Thanks .

If she's had trouble for awhile I would add in some Niacin to her water. Do you have epsom salt on hand? You might try soaking the leg in a bowl of water with epsom salt mixed in.

Gee, that looks almost like a burn. Any electric fence in the area?
no no electric fences. we did have a fire over the weekend and the fire ring was hot but they stay far from it when its smoking or hot . i honestly think she has a "bad" leg that gets aggravated since she really sprained it bad when she was young idk .... they ( my 2 geese and this duck and one of her duck sisters ) climbed up on my porch about a week or so ago - i believe it was this duck who decided to try and fly 3ft down. they are all pekins! the only way to tell them apart is that Cookie limps sometimes Charlotte is fat and Webber has a lighter Bill haha so when Cookie jumped/fluttered down i was like "NOOOOOOOOOO! your leg!" she didn't care tho of course.... but shes gotten worse and worse and worse and is now like i stated above .

Last edited:
Then I would definitely go with Epsom salts soaks twice a day. That can really help. And if it were me, I'd put some comfrey salve on it, too. It's a healing herb, they say. I have used it on my ducks from time to time. Think about Traumeel, if you use that kind of thing. Just rub a little in to the leg, is what I have done.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I know what you mean about these tubby's wanting to jump down off of things makes me cringe, my huge Scovy drake did it from the top of the ramp once and it took him several weeks to get over it. The soaks do help.
she seems to like the special attention and the soaks . after them she walks better so it must help thank you all
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom