One of my two ducks died. PLEASE HELP ME

Francoch

Hatching
Jan 20, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi everyone.

I bought two ducks less than a year ago, they were really good friends, very close to each other. One of them had a disease, he died yesterday.

The other one is acting weird, he has been quacking all day, almost non stop. I try to spend as much time as I can with him, but I can´t be out there all day. I am worried, can he get depression? He is eating, drinking, swimming and sleeping as usual, but he seems to be looking for his friend. I don´t know what to do.

Our Idea is to bring new ducklings, but we are going on vacation in 10 days. We won´t be able to take care of them.

Should we wait to see if he gets better and bring new ducks after out holidays? Should we bring a similar size grown duck now? PLEASE HELP

The other option I don´t like at all is giving him away to someone with other ducks, but he is my friend, and I don´t think he will be as good as here in any place.

PD: I am talking about he but I don´t really know if it´s a he

Thank you.

First off, what did your other duck die from? I wouldn't bring in or sell/give away any ducks until you know why that one passed away. Im my opinion yes animals can get depression, I do not however know how well it would go to add ducklings (I don't know your ducks temperament or anything) and especially not right before vacation, unless you have a sitter whose staying at your house, or a friend who is going to set up a brooder for you until the ducklings are big enough to go outside.

Also sexing your duck is probably gonna be important, cause having proper gender ratios is good for longevity, peace among the flock and will cause less stress and fights, maybe make a new thread with some pictures or a video of your remaining duck? Good luck!

First off, what did your other duck die from? I wouldn't bring in or sell/give away any ducks until you know why that one passed away. Im my opinion yes animals can get depression, I do not however know how well it would go to add ducklings (I don't know your ducks temperament or anything) and especially not right before vacation, unless you have a sitter whose staying at your house, or a friend who is going to set up a brooder for you until the ducklings are big enough to go outside.

Also sexing your duck is probably gonna be important, cause having proper gender ratios is good for longevity, peace among the flock and will cause less stress and fights, maybe make a new thread with some pictures or a video of your remaining duck? Good luck!

Thank you for your fast answer. Answering to your question, we don´t really know what he died from, he´d been sick for a long time. He had good periods and bad periods, when he wasn´t in his good days he couldn´t walk properly, he kept falling and using his beak to move. The thing is that he wasn´t that bad these last days. Apart from that, he looked smaller and he couldn´t stretch his wings. A doctor said it was a neurological problem 🤷‍♂️.

Can someone know whether it´s a male or a female by looking at photos or videos? I will open a new thread then. Thank you.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

In my experience ducks can and do grieve the loss of their flock mates, I believe the smaller the flock the harder the loss hits them. In my own flock it took months for my ducks to stop quacking loudly, looking for their deceased flock member. I still had 3 ducks remaining.

I understand that your duck is your friend and that you want to keep her. You feel like you can give her the best home, and if you treat her like a pet you are likely correct. I feel that way about my own ducks and I will never rehome them.

Also, we need to think about this situation from the duck's point of view. Your duck sounds really unhappy. Personally, I care about my ducks' happiness a lot. Some people have had luck with getting their ducks a stuffed animal toy or a mirror, mine don't care but you could try these things. Ultimately, I feel like you are going to need to give your duck a new friend if you want to meet her emotional health needs.

If your duck is quacking she is female. You can post a video here and we can help you with that.

Personally, if she is female, I would give my duck a new adult female friend immediately. You'll need someone to take care of her while you are on holiday anyway, and they can just take care of 2 ducks instead.

Let us know what you choose. I know you love her and you'll do what is best for her.

Try searching your local craigslist, or the app petfinder near you to try and find her a similar sized adult female friend. If you can't find one there try calling local farms and animal shelters. Keep in mind even after you get her a new friend it might take awhile before they really bond, so the sooner you get a new friend the better.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

In my experience ducks can and do grieve the loss of their flock mates, I believe the smaller the flock the harder the loss hits them. In my own flock it took months for my ducks to stop quacking loudly, looking for their deceased flock member. I still had 3 ducks remaining.

I understand that your duck is your friend and that you want to keep her. You feel like you can give her the best home, and if you treat her like a pet you are likely correct. I feel that way about my own ducks and I will never rehome them.

Also, we need to think about this situation from the duck's point of view. Your duck sounds really unhappy. Personally, I care about my ducks' happiness a lot. Some people have had luck with getting their ducks a stuffed animal toy or a mirror, mine don't care but you could try these things. Ultimately, I feel like you are going to need to give your duck a new friend if you want to meet her emotional health needs.

If your duck is quacking she is female. You can post a video here and we can help you with that.

Personally, if she is female, I would give my duck a new adult female friend immediately. You'll need someone to take care of her while you are on holiday anyway, and they can just take care of 2 ducks instead.

Let us know what you choose. I know you love her and you'll do what is best for her.

KalelAm: Thank you so much for your elaborated answer. I will try looking and asking local places for a new female, it's pretty hard here but I'll do my best. And yes, I have someone who is coming to feed her (or them) while we are away.

Anyways, I attach a photo and the link lf a little video so the community can check it up. Thank you so much

Attachments

• IMG_20210120_200659_678.jpg
    IMG_20210120_200659_678.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 25

Back
Top Bottom