One week til lockdown!!! Question though

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jettgirl24, Jul 20, 2010.

1. jettgirl24

jettgirl24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Duvall, WA
    SO EXCITED!!! Holding my breath for a good hatch. [​IMG]

I do have a question though... do you guys put anything down over the wire floor for when the babies hatch? it just seems like that wouldn't be super comfortable on those adorable little baby feet... Would paper towels be good? Or maybe those sorta grippy/rubbery non-slip shelf liners?

2. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Some folks put down that rubbery shelf liner you can get at the dollar store. Some leave the wire bare. Some put the eggs in cartons that have been cut specially for hatching. Some make little paper towel cups for the eggs.

It's basically down to what you prefer. Happy hatching!

3. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    No paper towels - they are too slippery and can cause spraddle leg. Non-skid shelf liner would work, though make sure it's the kind with the holes in it, so that it lets the humidity through from the water trays below. Personally, I don't use anything, they do fine. Congrats and good luck!

4. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I'm excited for you! So close to hatch time [​IMG] I use the non-slip rubber shelf liner and a egg carton to hatch them in. I like the rubber shelf liner because it is soft, only a dollar at the dollar store, keeps my incubator cleaner and I can throw it away after the hatch.
    HAPPY HATCHING! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by