One year old chickens won't go in the coop for the night

Kelly Holt

Chirping
Aug 4, 2020
Charleston, WV
Our chickens are about 1 year old and doing great. Except...they have suddenly stopped going into the coop at night. They have a good-sized (reasonably secure) run for daytime safety. Since the warmer weather, they are trying to roost at night on a bar in the run. Consequently, we go in the run every night about 9:30 or so and take them off the bar, put them on the ramp and they then walk into the coop. We have had to set the automatic door closer to close at 10 PM because (I thought) they were getting locked out, but that changed nothing. So, we installed a light, keeping it on until 9:30 (when it gets dark and we go up to see if they've gone in) thinking it would coax them into the coop from the darkness. They are still out on the outside roosting bar. The rooster almost always goes in at dark. Sometimes, if it's not too dark when we go up, he comes out and helps coax the girls in.

There is nothing in their coop to be scared of (snakes etc). No past trauma or animal attacks. I'm just wondering why they have suddenly started doing this. Is it the heat? Plenty of eave ventilation up along 2 sides of the rooftop and 1 window, but it is rather stuffy up there, but it's basically the same temp as it is outside. It's been 90-degree humidity with 85-90 degree weather. I'm fearful to run a fan all night for them since I can't think of a safe way to do it.

So, is it the heat? Anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions? This has been going on for nearly 3 months and I'd love to NOT have to go up every night.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Kelly

Last edited:
Our chickens are about 1 year old and doing great. Except...they have suddenly stopped going into the coop at night. They have a good-sized (reasonably secure) run for daytime safety. Since the warmer weather, they are trying to roost at night on a bar in the run. Consequently, we go in the run every night about 9:30 or so and take them off the bar, put them on the ramp and they then walk into the coop. We have had to set the automatic door closer to close at 10 PM because (I thought) they were getting locked out, but that changed nothing. So, we installed a light, keeping it on until 9:30 (when it gets dark and we go up to see if they've gone in) thinking it would coax them into the coop from the darkness. They are still out on the outside roosting bar. The rooster almost always goes in at dark. Sometimes, if it's not too dark when we go up, he comes out and helps coax the girls in.

There is nothing in their coop to be scared of (snakes etc). No past trauma or animal attacks. I'm just wondering why they have suddenly started doing this. Is it the heat? Plenty of eave ventilation up along 2 sides of the rooftop and 1 window, but it is rather stuffy up there, but it's basically the same temp as it is outside. It's been 90-degree humidity with 85-90 degree weather. I'm fearful to run a fan all night for them since I can't think of a safe way to do it.

So, is it the heat? Anyone else experienced this and have any suggestions? This has been going on for nearly 3 months and I'd love to NOT have to go up every night.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Kelly
My young flock refuse to go to roost at night without a light .They also tried to roost over the awning I had over the door until I removed it. Then I added a bucket feeder in the coop and they're roosting there now. I'm planning on removing the feeder in a day or so and hanging it outside. Chicks that don't have an older flock to teach them where and when to roost have to be taught- consistently(or at least mine!) No doubt if mine had a roost in the run they'd try to roost there too.There's no guarantee adding ventilation would motivate them to roost inside if the weathers nice outside but adding more ventilation would make it more comfortable.Chickens can take the cold better than they can the heat.Mine love being outdoors and can't wait to get out in the mornings.I think it's normal for chickens to prefer sleeping outdoors when its hot especially if the coop doesn't have an open window with a breeze.

Last edited:
Is it the heat? Plenty of eave ventilation up along 2 sides of the rooftop and 1 window, but it is rather stuffy up there, but it's basically the same temp as it is outside. It's been 90-degree humidity with 85-90 degree weather. I'm fearful to run a fan all night for them since I can't think of a safe way to do it.
Could be.
I run a fan late in the day to help cool the coop, but not all night.
Also ......
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-extreme-weather-spiel.75893/

Yes, pics of your coop (inside and out) and run would help here.

Oh, and..... Welcome to BYC! @Kelly Holt
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1623756326028.png

I apologize for my delayed response.
Thank you for your suggestions and replies. I’ve updated my profile so hopefully that will help in the future. :). I’m in Charleston, WV.

I have13 chickens in this coop/run. The coop is 10x8’, Run is 18x9’.
The chickens have been going in on their own up to this point. They have ever since I put them in there at about 14 weeks.
They now have gotten so that they doze on the outside perch until I go in and tap them on their behinds and say, “Time to go to bed”. Most get down and walk into the coop. Those that don’t I pick up and place on the ground and they walk in.

Today the temps have finally gotten down to normal 70’s so I’ll be curious if they’ll go in tonight. If they do, I know it’s too hot.
We’ve got a lot of preditor pressure here (abandoned farm-stead) and limited the ventilation to only one window and opened up the top in the coop, but I think we probably need to cut a hole in the wall that is inside the run.

Kelly 266379E8-2991-4220-B669-AB6E6333F1AB.jpeg 00F09611-F5B6-4050-A341-0C3827DDFE63.jpeg CDAD8269-64BF-4622-9A16-287D3849FCCC.jpeg 3B72E3DC-BAE3-41C4-B809-39C518D26D60.jpeg 5847FE97-D261-42D6-81BB-B39EB828FE43.jpeg ED10F506-0BBC-46FB-87B7-C8AE90EB7335.jpeg 1E6ED049-9585-476F-B232-F81B4F4EAEED.jpeg

You have decent ventilation thanks to that roof, but if it's been feeling hot and stuffy in there with hotter weather, an additional window or two could be good for cross breeze especially in summer. The wall facing into the run is ideal for that as you do have a roof overhead.
I agree. I’m getting a 10x10’ shade cloth in a couple days to help shade 90% of the run. Anything will help until we can get an opening cut.

My rooster chose to stay out on the landing of the coop just outside the door last night. He will do so seemingly randomly every so often. It was unusually cool last night for june do definitely wasn't a hot coop.

I would remove the bar in the run to give them no other option. Once they get back in the groove for awhile, reinstall it if you wish.

My rooster chose to stay out on the landing of the coop just outside the door last night. He will do so seemingly randomly every so often. It was unusually cool last night for june do definitely wasn't a hot coop.

I would remove the bar in the run to give them no other option. Once they get back in the groove for awhile, reinstall it if you wish.
That was a thought, too. They did the same thing last night even though it was 55 outside at 9 PM so it’s become a habit. I had to remove a ladder from my second run because that flock did the same thing. I think I’ll wait until after add the openings & shade cover tho.

Back
Top Bottom