Only One Survived... Until This Morning

UPDATE:
So the friend who split that order with me just called and 5 of the 12 she ordered died, too. MPC refunded me the entire order. I blame usps. NEVER will I order chicks by mail AGAIN.
:rant:hit:barnie

For silkie chicks in your area, also check Craigslist. You will probably find many people in your area that you could drive to easily, see the chicks and pick out your own. You will also find chicks of other breeds too if you search for them.

I got a couple of silkies from a local feed store. The only reason I ordered from MPC is because they sell sexed silkies. But all the breeders in this area seem to sell show quality birds and don't sell them until 3 weeks old. I had originally wanted them for my broodies. It worked out in the end. I just wish I hadn't even tried. Now my poor friend is dealing with losses, too.

UPDATE:
So the friend who split that order with me just called and 5 of the 12 she ordered died, too. MPC refunded me the entire order. I blame usps. NEVER will I order chicks by mail AGAIN.
:rant:hit:barnie
So sorry for all the losses, yours and your friends. I have considered ordering by mail as well simply because when you're interested in different slightly rare breeds it can seem like an uphill battle to find them locally. This and stories of others that I have seen on here is making me really think about going that route. This part of raising chickens is tough when things go awry, but you have 3 immensely cute chickies and they obviously have a loving caretaker. Hope your chicks thrive and are all pullets:fl.

Yes. I'm in California. It's def not cold! It's 90 today.

I know it's no one's fault. I think they would have been ok if they had arrived on time. They were delayed a day. But I will probably never order from outside CA again. Too sad opening a box of dead babies - especially after months of anticipation.

I ordered from MPC in January...they're arriving in July. And this is my nightmare. I had asked about the mortality rate from MPC in a thread a few months ago, and only 1 person answered. I am so sorry that this happened to you. Now I am fearing I'll get a box of dead chicks in July from MPC. :(

@TomZilla43 Thanks. I ordered my first flock, and they were perfect. I ordered them from California Hatchery, so they arrived the next day. And I ordered then because I knew next to nothing about chickens, but knew I wanted day-olds. I lucked out that time, I think.

@Peepsi I think it was the usps that messed things up. Really - I had a great experience the first go around. Plus, yours won't have to go as far. If I were you, I'd just make sure yours are being shipped at the fastest rate possible. Large orders @ MPC (15 or more birds, I think) ship at the lower rate automatically. I found out later you can request faster shipping. I would have opted for that had I known it was an option. You might check with MPC. I will say they are super nice, though. Good luck, my dear. I'm sure my experience is rarer than most.

In 2012 we ordered chicks and the next day they arrived at the post office. One didn't make it and had died in just a short time after picking them up. We called them and they refunded us that one chick back then. Now days we go up to the feed store to get the chicks. We have a Wilco store here and there is lots of different breeds. This summer they are keeping the chicks all summer long.

I am sorry this happened to you. I would call them and let them know what happened.

I think it was the usps that messed things up. Really - I had a great experience the first go around. Plus, yours won't have to go as far. If I were you, I'd just make sure yours are being shipped at the fastest rate possible. Large orders @ MPC (15 or more birds, I think) ship at the lower rate automatically. I found out later you can request faster shipping. I would have opted for that had I known it was an option. You might check with MPC. I will say they are super nice, though. Good luck, my dear. I'm sure my experience is rarer than most.

Thank you for the reassurance and the tip. I'll have to check into that faster shipping.

But still, it's awful that you had a bad experience this time, USPS or not. You have my condolences, and no it was NOT your fault. Don't even think that!

Also, congrats on Violet, Picotee and Dandelion! I hope they thrive and bring you happiness. :)

Thank you for the reassurance and the tip. I'll have to check into that faster shipping.

But still, it's awful that you had a bad experience this time, USPS or not. You have my condolences, and no it was NOT your fault. Don't even think that!

Also, congrats on Violet, Picotee and Dandelion! I hope they thrive and bring you happiness. :)
They do already! They are cuddling on my lap as I write this.
:love

This is exactly my thought process.

She might be fine as a house chicken. I will have to see how my dog and cats do. My dog has been great with my other chickens, but she tends to go a little wacky when chicks are around. I have an 8 week old chick with a mama hen who she doesn't bother anymore. It's just when they are tiny. And my one cat couldn't care less. The other, however, is a mouser. He might be problematic.

There is a feed store locally, and they have silkies right now! I will have to take my chances that I get a cockerel, though. I will get 2 more today. Or I will get 2 other bantams. That way, I have a better chance of getting at least 1 pullet. I can rehome a roo if I absolutely have to. I have a couple of coworkers who have ranches and will accept roos.

MPC won't ship out fewer because of the mortality rate. More bantams = more heat and better survival rates. I will NOT order from a hatchery out of CA ever again. No breed is worth the sadness. They were sooo tiny and cute. I had already named them....
:hit

And I keep thinking they'd be alive if I hadn't ordered them. I was greedy and selfish, and now they are dead.
Please don’t blame yourself!

Back
Top Bottom