Opa's place -Where an old rooster visits with friends

Thanks for the welcome Highlander. Those are really cute. I wonder if 4 year olds will eat meringue? I wouldn't, but doesn't mean I wouldn't make them. LOL

I think it might be safe to assume that a bunch of 4 year olds might eat a pile of sugar disguised as a ghost. They would in Scotland anyway.
wink.png

Hi Pelican49, nice to "meet" you.
frow.gif
Happy Birthday early to the big boy grandson!

Hi to everyone, it's been slower here without Opa. Not sure when he's due back, but it seems he is having a good time with family.

The days are getting shorter, hibernation is almost upon us. Here in SC, along the coast, it's unusual to have more than a couple days of fall-like weather, so we're sort of enjoying these past 4 days in the 70s and nights in the 40s. I say sort of because we are NOT used to such pleasant weather! Not sure what to make of it.....

Apparently we're not the only ones preparing for hibernation, either. Night before last I went out to shut off the hose to the duck pool. The faucet is around the corner of the house from the back door, so the light doesn't shine there at all. Not a problem, I've done it many times so I didn't bother to take a flashlight. Just as I shut off the water I "felt" something move down by my right foot. Looked down, but could only make out a form of some sort. I figured it was a rat or something, but we've never had but one here, not sure why I thought that.

One of my dogs was outside with me, but he was noodling around elsewhere. I went back in, got a flashlight and went back out to look. Did NOT expect to see a 3+ foot copperhead where I had been standing!
ep.gif

I went back to the door, called the dog (who ignored me), called to DH who was reading and ignored me, too. Shouted SNAKE, which always gets his attention. He came charging out. Grabbed a hoe that was by the door and starts hacking at the copperhead. By this time I am holding a flashlight on a moving subject, said flashlight is burning out, the dog wants to know what we're doing and the dang snake is headed towards me!

DH eventually killed the copperhead and the dog went inside with me. I vowed to tackle the big grove of anise trees by the back door as soon as I figure out how to avoid any snakes in there! We have had so many snakes this year, I think the grove is where they hang out. Non-venomous snakes get a pass or a relocation, depending upon how many eggs they're stealing. Venomous snakes get a ticket to snake heaven. I could have quite easily lived without the experience!

Highlander, save me a meringue, please, those are adorable!
PK, I am actually in southern South Carolina, south of Charleston, north of Beaufort. About 15 miles from the coast. Very cool you are making your costume!

Good morning all. Another bright and beautiful day here in southwest Missouri. Joe and Scott live about 8 miles from each other so it has made seeing both of them quite easy. This area is called the "top of the Ozarks" and it is very rural and scenic. Rolling hills and pastures with thousands of cattle. The fall colors haven't started here yet, but it is still beautiful.

Morgan is no longer a little girl and is rapidly becoming a beautiful young lady. I gave her a Browning lever action 22 rifle that is considered a collectors item and today, after school, I will be teaching her how to use it. Last night she had gone out to collect eggs and discovered a possum in one of the nest boxes. We grabbed the rifle and a flashlite and then she decided it might be better it I shot the critter. She was afraid she might miss and hit a chicken. So this afternoon we will remedy that concern.

After dispatching the possum we went about trying to get some of the terrified birds back into the coop. Several of the guineas were on the roof and unreachable but a few were roosting on the fence. I learned that their tails aren't quite as durable as a chickens. I had reached up, grabbed a bird by the tail, only to have it fly off leaving me with its entire tail in my hand. I thought for a while that Morgan and Elizabeth might hurt themselves they were laughing so hard.

I plan on being back home on Tuesday and then will be heading about 300 miles north to take Hope on a getaway for just the two of us. She has never been to Mackinaw Island and I think we should so. It really is quite lovely and with the fall colors at their peak in that area it should be a great trip. The movie "Somewhere In Time" with Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve was filmed there and hopefully the weather will cooperate so we can enjoy it to it fullest.

Fall is in full swing and winter is looming, but in the mean time get out and enjoy the nice weather while you can.

I don't know for sure if those little kids will eat the sugar ghosts but make them anyway and if the kids won't eat them, send them to me.

Last edited:
Good morning everyone
So good to hear you are having a great trip Opa. The trip you are planing for you and Hope sounds great. I have been to the Island and really love the place. Take some pic and keep up updated.
thumbsup.gif

Wow! ranchhand, I know the feeling well, You have to be prepared at all times.
sickbyc.gif

We had a awful storm Monday afternoon, we were without power for 2 days. It is a good thing that the weather had cooled off or I would have had to go to a Hotel for AC.
Anyhow it blew down about 6 power poles lines were down. I had to drive 45 miles one way to find dry ice. Got through it OK, Finished my book that I was in the middle of it. Now I know who did it.
tongue2.gif

Hope everyone has a super day.
woot.gif

Opa, It should be a beautiful weekend here in Michigan... talking about low 70's and sunny... not much about rain..spotty on Sunday... wens and thurs next week in the upper 50 and rainy... hopefull up in the U.P. it will be nicer. Mackinaw is one of my favorite places. so peaceful and the water sooo blue and clear. Everyone should try to see Mackinaw at least once. Breathe the fresh air...Have a wonderful trip

Good afternoon! I'm going to do NaNoWriMo! Once my story is done, I can post the link to it here.

Opa: Morgan sounds like she's growing up to be a very nice young lady.
clap.gif

Ranchie: Ah, sorry. Yes, getting ready for hibernation is a plus. Once we finish my fall classes, we'll stock up on potatoes and beef and I'll just play, do school, and write.

Everyone else: Hi!

Morning all. Nice to hear from you Sam, glad you are having a good break.

Ranchie: Yikesies on the snake! Keep that shovel sharpened!
Pati: good to see you, glad you have power again.
PK: Looking forward to reading your story!

frow.gif
to everyone else!

I went on a shopping trip to Edinburgh yesterday with my Mum and sister for my sister's 40th birthday. (she is my older sister btw. Much, much older.
wink.png
) Anyway, I took some pics for you all. Excuse the quality please, they were mainly taken from the back of the moving car.

This is Perthshire. Really beautiful scenery here. Lots of big hills and rolling fields
16494_edinburgh_003.jpg

In the middle of this picture you can see a small castle. This is Loch Leven Castle, where Mary, Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the 16th Century. Some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Leven_Castle
16494_edinburgh_004.jpg

16494_edinburgh_005.jpg

This is the Forth Rail Bridge, generally just known as "the bridge". It is the second longest cantilever bridge in the world. It was built in the late 19th century and sadly nearly 100 men lost their lives during it's construction.
16494_edinburgh_009.jpg

a much nicer pic than i could ever take:
16494_800px-forthrailbridgefromsouthqueensferry.jpg

And lastly, the sun setting over the Forth
16494_edinburgh_014.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pics, highlander. Yes, i'm still following along on this thread. Maybe this winter i'll get on here more. A big hello to whole gang.
smile.png

Thanks for the welcome Ranchand!

The weather here is near perfection. We had all the windows and doors open last night while watching TV. Unfortunately, a Big Brown Bat flew in (a specific breed). LOL. Poor thing turned frantic in a heartbeat and was doing circles and loops. We were afraid to throw something over him for fear we'd hurt his wings as he was really fast. I took about 6 pictures but didn't get so much as a wing tip. So we just opened the door as wide as possible and turned all the lights on in the house. It took a while, but eventually he found the opening and got outside. Now he has a story to tell all his buddies about the terrible cave he found.

Winter coming, yuk. We really need to start collecting firewood.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom