Open letter to the jerk who dumped the dog at my gate

carolinagirl58

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Lugoff, SC
She showed up here a couple of days ago....the day you dumped her. She would not leave my property.......I guess she was hoping you'd come back for her. We tried chasing her off but she would not go....she just kept watching and waiting for you to come back. Did you think we'd take her in because we have other dogs? Or did you just feel like letting someone else take care of your problem. She was not a nice dog....growling and barking if we approached her. I know she was just scared to death. We tried to catch her but had to quit, fearing we'd get bit. She was a very unattractive dog and would not have gotten adopted from the pound even if we had managed to catch her. I had to keep my own dogs in the house....my pit bull would have made life very unpleasant for her. My anatolians were very upset that she was hanging around, but they are only puppies and can't be expected to protect the sheep from dogs just yet, although I bet they'd try. When she started venturing closer to my house, wandering around my yard (it's nearly a 1/4 mile to the gate) and showing a dangerous amount of interest in the sheep and chickens, we had to make a decision. Do you think we enjoyed having to shoot your dog? Do you realize how upsetting that is for all of us? No dog deserves to end like that. She deserved to lay on your porch and live out her life. But instead you got tired of her and dumped her on someone else. Why didn't you just find her a new home, take her to the pound or at least put a bullet in her yourself? Did you really think it was fair to make us do it? People like you make me sick. This dog only wanted to be loved by you. she just wanted for you to come back and get her. But instead, now she is dead. At least she's not hungry anymore. I hope one day you get a really good dose of Karma.

(I realize the guy who actually dumped her won't read this, but I am just so mad and upset that we were forced into making that decision, just because someone else would not take responsibility for their dog. Maybe I'll post this on my local craigslist)

Last edited:
This is so sad but u had to do what u had to do.We get a lot of stray cats where we live,we are in the middle of the woods we find kittens born under our porch to wild cats.It is so sad that people r so uncaring.We support the no kill shelters,but u can only do so much.Yes give this to the news!

As much as it hurts, you made the right decision. I went through something similar this past summer. Someone dropped off two large male unneutered dogs in the country for the good life. They took out eight of my chickens while I was away and came back the next day for more. My wife just sat down and started crying when she saw me getting the gun. She knew they had come back and what I had to do. I did not enjoy it one bit either. It's not the dogs' fault.

When I can, I take dogs dumped out here to the pound. It's free to drop them off, just show proof you live in the county. But sometimes, you don't have that option. There are three things that normally happen to dogs dropped off out here, they starve to death, the coyotes eat them, or they get shot. For the cats dropped off, it is pretty much the coyotes pretty quickly. Those irresponsible pet owners set them up for a really good life in the country.

Yup, I would post that to any kind of local paper. Even if the true owners dont read/care, maybe it will make someone else think twice.
hugs.gif
to you guys for making a hard decission.

Thanks everyone.....I do appreciate the support. Making the decision to kill a dog is not one we take lightly and one that causes us both a lot of heartache. We'd prefer to take them to the pound too, but this one was not a nice dog....not worth the risk of getting bitten. Plus she was a black lab mix, very plain and boring in apparence and very thin. It's doubtful with her looks and attitude she ever would have gotten adopted. At least this way she won't have to experience the fear and confusion of being caged at the pound while waiting for her turn to be euthanized. The thought of her attacking my stock at night or while we were gone during the day was just too much to take. We have lost so many animals in the past to stray dogs, including an entire herd of young goats, that I am not willing to chance it. I only wish my Anatolians were old enough to protect my livestock. They will be one day soon, but are a little too young to handle it.

This time of year we have deer dogs show up once every couple of weeks. they usually hang around way up in front, waiting to be picked up. Those poor dogs are so thin but they are no threat to my stock. I usually just give them a few really good meals while they wait for their owners. They have tracking collars on, so I know their owners will be along to collect them soon. How I'd love to rescue those dogs from their owners though. They are so underfed it's just sad.

Last edited:
Wow, that is really harsh. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I would send a letter to the editor of your local paper. People like that deserve to know what happened to their once-loved-pet.

sorry you had to go through that. we did also with a pit bull mix that was dumped on our road but we were able to get the dog warden to trap the dog. i would have shot it if it went after any of our animals.

i take offence to you lumping all hunting hounds as skinny and not fed correctly by hunters. most hunters feed their dogs well all year to be able to hunt them a few weeks in the winter. the state only allows you to hunt your dogs when they say that you can. when a hound is chasing game he will lose some weight or even look skinny but this is normal for hounds. if they were so skinny and emaciated then they couldn't even run. then again there are a few hunters that let their dogs remain lost for days and these hounds definitely need a meal or look skinny. the few make it hard on the others.

hunting dogs don't need non- hunters to rescue them. they love to hunt and have the heart to do it until they actually lose weight.

Last edited:
Quote:
I didn't lump all hunting hounds as skinny and not fed correctly. I said the ones that show up here every couple of weeks are skinny. These are not normal skinny.....they are walking skeletons with fur covering them. I have seen packs in kennels around here in the off season and they don't look much better. Maybe you take care of your dogs, but not everyone does. The ones I have seen on my property have been neglected to the point of being unhealthy. Sorry if that makes things hard on you but I call it like I see it. It's hard to ignore all those bones poking out all over.

Back
Top Bottom