Open mouth breathing and pale yellow poop

charitysflock

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2016
Chick is 5 months old. Noticed that she has been laying on the floor of the coop. I thought she might be nesting since she's probably about to lay, but later noticed that she had moved to the corner and another chicken was bothering her and she wasn't doing anything. I removed her, and noticed that she was breathing with her mouth open, didn't have much energy and just lay back down. I gave her some water, some food soaked in water, but while I had her separated I also noticed that her poop was a watery pale yellow. I have moved her into the house in a cage for the night, but I need to know how to treat her in the morning. I don't know if it's gape worm or a respiratory infection. Suggestions please?

She died this morning. Just separated her yesterday because she wasn't looking good, brought her inside last night. No drainage from her nose. I got her to drink a little water and eat a bit of soaked food and was going to the store this morning to get her dewormer. I don't know for sure if that's what it was. Should I still deworm the rest of the flock? I'd hate to lose another, but don't want to medicate them if they don't need it.

She was just 5 months and had not started laying yet. I've had an egg bound bird before and she didn't look anything like that. So sad that she went so quick and I couldn't help her. She had diarrhea, very low energy, and gaping. No wheezing, coughing, or drainage. I just bought DE and cleaned the coop, nesting boxes, and pen and dusted everywhere. Someone said you can give it to the chickens in their feed. The one I purchased is food grade. Does anyone know the dosage? How much to put in the feed?

I guess I am targeting anything that could have made her sick. If it will improve their overall health, I am willing to give it a try. I just purchased some at the local feed store- food grade. I have raised chickens for 6 years now and have never heard of the stuff. If it will keep mites and other bugs down in their coop and nesting boxes, it's worth doing. I wondered if others had used DE in the chickens food to help their digestive track, and if it keeps parasites or worms away.

Fermented feed with it's probiotics and enhanced nutrition absorption would be my choice for helping the digestive system.

I don't think DE would have made a difference in the health of your chicken. It appeared to have had a serious illness...if it had been mites or something along those lines that DE would target you would have noticed the feather-loss, etc.,.

It almost sounds like your chicken had heat exhaustion.

Back
Top Bottom