Opening eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aalbury, Nov 29, 2009.

1. aalbury

aalbury Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    I am finishing up my first incubation and I have 2 eggs that are 3 days late - yesterday there were 3 that were 2 days late - and one hatched mid-afternoon yesterday. It seems to be OK so far. It's eating I think. Can I -or should I- break open the shell in the air sac area on those last 2 and peek in to see if they need help out? I've had a heck of a time trying to keep the humidity up to even 65% and have had to open the incubator every day to add water.... Are they done? or dead?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  2. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    OH SHOOT. I just picked one up and I can hear peeping in it....what do I do? There is a very small dry pip on it.....I put it back...should I try to pry a little more off it?

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    IMO-if mine were 2 days late I would "help" a little I would break it open where it is peeping it could be to dry and it is shrunk warpped to where it cant manuver out by itself-do to let air in and put it back warpped in a warm wet papertowel-do not cover the air hole you made and wrap it loosly though. then after an hour or two break the shell more to help-again wet paper towel around it to help with moisture inside it. This is just what I do others let nature takes it course and if they hatch they do and if not then they lose a chick or two. I help after they are "late"

4. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    OK! THanks!!!!!!I'll be back!

5. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Do I break the membrane or whatever that is???? I wrapped it and pulled off a little cracked part it had made since I put it back! But there is the membrane... must get pic so you can help me thank you thank you thank you by the way!!!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yes break through the membrane-but be careful to avoid the veins! if it bleeds stop!~ wrap in that wet warm papertowel and leave for an hour or two to see if it can make it out on its own-I bet it is shrink wrapped-I pick off the shell to the size of a nickel to help-

7. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    I can see it's little beak! I just barely broke the membrane picking a little more shell off - I think it will make it!

[​IMG]

8. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    Thank you thank you thank you again! Phew...

9. aalbury

Nov 5, 2009
    GA
    There is a little blood....I hope it will be OK....

[​IMG]

10. chickenlover54

chickenlover54 Henely Hatchery

May 20, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    Good luck! I think it should be ok~! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by