Opening eggs

aalbury

Songster
10 Years
Nov 5, 2009
GA
I am finishing up my first incubation and I have 2 eggs that are 3 days late - yesterday there were 3 that were 2 days late - and one hatched mid-afternoon yesterday. It seems to be OK so far. It's eating I think. Can I -or should I- break open the shell in the air sac area on those last 2 and peek in to see if they need help out? I've had a heck of a time trying to keep the humidity up to even 65% and have had to open the incubator every day to add water.... Are they done? or dead?

Last edited:
OH SHOOT. I just picked one up and I can hear peeping in it....what do I do? There is a very small dry pip on it.....I put it back...should I try to pry a little more off it?

IMO-if mine were 2 days late I would "help" a little I would break it open where it is peeping it could be to dry and it is shrunk warpped to where it cant manuver out by itself-do to let air in and put it back warpped in a warm wet papertowel-do not cover the air hole you made and wrap it loosly though. then after an hour or two break the shell more to help-again wet paper towel around it to help with moisture inside it. This is just what I do others let nature takes it course and if they hatch they do and if not then they lose a chick or two. I help after they are "late"

Do I break the membrane or whatever that is???? I wrapped it and pulled off a little cracked part it had made since I put it back! But there is the membrane... must get pic so you can help me thank you thank you thank you by the way!!!

yes break through the membrane-but be careful to avoid the veins! if it bleeds stop!~ wrap in that wet warm papertowel and leave for an hour or two to see if it can make it out on its own-I bet it is shrink wrapped-I pick off the shell to the size of a nickel to help-

I can see it's little beak! I just barely broke the membrane picking a little more shell off - I think it will make it!

Nov09.jpg

Back
Top Bottom