Opinion on Cooop Size vs. Amount of Rhode Island Hens

Brookside7

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 31, 2012
I found a coop that I'm interested in getting so that I can start enjoying the Backyard Chickens experience.

The measurements are:

• Chicken Coop Dimensions
    Outside
    :
    82 in(L)x52in(H)x27.5in(W)
    2100mm(L)x1330mm(H)x700mm(W)

Inside:
    Coop/House Inside Area is 25.5" x 25.5"
    Approximately 4.5 sq.ft
  • NEST BOX Inside
21" long x 11" deep
Run Area Inside Measurements
Total Run Area Is About 64" long x 25.5" deep
Approximately 11.3 sq.ft

Now, we would like to get Rhode Island Red hens. How many hens would be best and healthy for these dimensions?
(Note: They will be allowed to free range at least a few hours a day.)

Thanks!​

Agree Kathyinmo...one hen. I did want to share my zero knowledge about hens with Brookside7. I got hens in March 2011 and came here to BYC forum to make sure I was getting the right amount of hens plus wander around the forum to educate myself a little too. I had my heart set on 6 to 8 Rhode Island Reds but after posting the measurements my coop was fine but my pen was too small. My heart sank. But I did go by what the response was and they were spot on ! 4 healthy RIR's is what I have. The kind folks that are on this forum are sooooo knowledgeable and you will find yourself visiting the site for practically any chicken issue. Love BYC forum ! :D

As said, the minimum of interior space is 4 sq ft per hen, but you want to take into account where you live. Places with lots of rain/snow/cold need even larger coops, as the girls will be inside for long stretches. Also take into account the breed. RIRs are more active and more hen-on-hen aggressive than others. They need to free-range, they need more interior space, etc, or you'll have pecking problems. Spoken from experience.
--see my coops, interior and exterior on my live-streaming web cams at www.HenCam.com

You could always go with bantamized RIR's then you could probably have 3-5.
smile.png

-sigh- And the search continues. I originally intended to build my own, but need to find a coop plan with the instructions (since I'm no carpenter... lol) and with the right dimensions. We're thinking on about 6 Rhode Island Reds.

Back
Top Bottom