Opinions: Medicated Chick Feed and Corid

HensAndFriends

Chirping
Aug 28, 2022
Been reading a lot about using medicated feed and corid in waterers, and was curious what everyone's opinions were on this subject?

Medicated chick feed usually contains: 0.0125% amprolium

Corid contains: 9.6% amprolium (example dosage: 2.5ml per quart of water)

Some people say that you can overdose chicks on amprolium by using both at the same time, while some people say its alright since the amount of amprolium is so low in chick feed. What's your opinion?🤔

Been reading a lot about using medicated feed and corid in waterers, and was curious what everyone's opinions were on this subject?

Some people say that you can overdose chicks on amprolium by using both at the same time, while some people say its alright since the amount of amprolium is so low in chick feed. What's your opinion?🤔
Corid is used when there's an actual problem with cocci. If you are looking to prevent coccidiosis, I'd just stick to the feed unless you have an outbreak.

I am not a medical professional so I don't know. But I will give an opinion. If your numbers are correct 0.0125 is 0.13% of 9.6. That's 0.1 percent. Your measurement of the volume of corid and the measurement of water you are putting it in are not going to be that close.

The volume of water with corid in it that an individual chick drinks will vary by chick so each chick gets different total volumes of Amprolium each day from the water. The volume of medicated feed each chick eats in a day will vary. It is not what percent is in each bite or drink but the total volume of Amprolium they get in the entire day.

I do not think there is any risk of overdosing the chicks on Amprolium if you feed medicated feed that is medicated with Amprolium and treat with corid according to the instructions. But follow the instructions on how and how often to give them corid in the water.

Personally, I never use medicated feeds of any kind for any animal. Period. It's not like you're giving healthy nutritional support to every chick, you're medicating them with a chemical without need. I strictly use silver and have never had problems. I know others have very different opinions.

Last edited:
Medicated feed is supposed to provide a low preventative dose of coccidiostat. Corid is what you'd want to use if you have a suspected or known case of coccidiosis.

I keep Corid on hand but feed unmedicated. My chicks are raised outdoors nowadays so the hope is they naturally build up resistance to any strains of coccidiosis in my set up via exposure.

I just use Corid in the water so I can feed higher protein starter, like the Flock Party brand Starter (chicks love it).

The Corid bottle has different directions on it for prevention and for treatment. Chicks consumption parallels their body weight.
It is a safe medicine that is very hard to overdose. I've given chicks both the treatment dose AND drench dose (undiluted, straight in the beak) with no ill effects.

What is dangerous, at least around here, is Cocci. I've lost chicks very quickly without signs in the poo because of the strain here. So, I learned to be diligent with the medicine and not start thinking they're safe at 4 weeks. It's actually about the worst time for it.
My last batches I tried something different and medicated with an "on" 3 days / "off" 4 days schedule. Until they went to the coop and were "on" for 7 days, then done. That seems to be working well (here) without depriving them of Vit B all of the time.

What is dangerous, at least around here, is Cocci. I've lost chicks very quickly without signs in the poo because of the strain here. So, I learned to be diligent with the medicine and not start thinking they're safe at 4 weeks. It's actually about the worst time for it.

A nice illustration of the way one size doesn't fit all and the importance of knowing your own situation.

If one is feeding a feed medicated with amprolium, and their chicks show symptoms of coccidiosis, they can have water medicated with amprolium, too, it's perfectly safe.

Amprolium dosing inf here:
Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed  - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed - The Correct Amprolium Dose

Treating Coccidiosis with Corid, Amprol, AmproMed The Correct Amprolium Dose Treatment 20% Powder 9.6% Liquid For 3-5 days 1.5 teaspoons per gallon 2 teaspoons per gallon then for 7-14 days 1/3 teaspoon per gallon 1/2 teaspoon per gallon When treating coccidisosis in my own birds I...

Can a chick develop immunity to Coccidia when there is no Coccidia in their environment? Is it possible to have an environment that does not have Coccidia?

I don't use medicated feed but watch the wood shaving bedding for reddish spots. It is rare for there to be signs of bloody poop for the first month but if any is noticed they get Corid in their water. The most vulnerable time seems to be a week or so after they are feathered out and moved to larger quarters. It is difficult to watch for bloody poop during this time because they are on dry leaf bedding. So, they get a prophylactic dose of Corid during this time. I don't know. Just flying by the seat of my pants.

Back
Top Bottom