Opinions on type of injury

Sezdia

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone could help me to try and figure out what happened to one of our chickens. The chicken was in the coop one minute doing just fine, and about 5 min later I found it about 3 feet outside of the coop door on its side breathing heavily. I picked him up and his neck was limp, and he continued to display labored breathing. Once inside the house I started to gently look him over and noticed that the back of his head had some sort of injury. I am not sure if this was something that was done by one of our own, but that being said, we have never had any picking or fighting within our flock. Most of the chickens were outside of the coop free ranging at the time he was discovered, so I am wondering if it was done by some sort of predator. We have only had chickens for a year now and this is the first we have encountered an injury or illness. I attached a pic of his head. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. He is currently inside in a brooder while he continues to rest. His breathing is not labored at this point so I am wondering if he was in shock and is starting to come around.
5C4F3856-4A19-4F9A-9993-5061EFD75CAF.jpeg

It looks like a pecking injury to me. Are the other chickens bantams or are they a mixed flock? Are there other cockerels or roosters who may have chased or bullied him? Or has he been mating a larger hen? Hopefully, he will be alright. I would try to get him to drink some fluids to get rehydrated. BluKote can be sprayed on his wound once he is able to go back to the flock, but for now you could use some Vetericyn, chlorhexidene, or plain Neosporin on the wound. BluKote can hide wounds and keep them frommbeing pecked. If he feels better and can go back, I would watch every move to make sure he is not being hurt.

I would lean toward pecking right now. I would use vetericyn to help the wound heal.

Any signs of a predator?
We do live out in the country in northeastern Wisconsin and have about 40 acres of wooded land behind our property so there is a chance that predators are in the area frequently. I thought that a predator would be able to do more damage which prompted my fear of pecking, but again it was within a matter of 5 min so I could have interrupted an attack by coming back outside

It looks like a pecking injury to me. Are the other chickens bantams or are they a mixed flock? Are there other cockerels or roosters who may have chased or bullied him? Or has he been mating a larger hen? Hopefully, he will be alright. I would try to get him to drink some fluids to get rehydrated. BluKote can be sprayed on his wound once he is able to go back to the flock, but for now you could use some Vetericyn, chlorhexidene, or plain Neosporin on the wound. BluKote can hide wounds and keep them frommbeing pecked. If he feels better and can go back, I would watch every move to make sure he is not being hurt.
We have a mixed flock. This little one is a silkie that we got in August (one of 5) so we are not even sure if it is a roo or not as we did straight run. No one has bullied him, but obviously that doesn’t mean that it didn’t happen today. This silkie has always straggled behind the others in the flock, including the ones we was born with. He eats and drinks and moves around the yard and coop but he never goes back at night on his own. Usually we take him back in but one of the other silkies Always sits and waits with him until we do so. Is it possible that there was something else wrong with him that another decided to pick on him for it today due to his weakness? I will get some Neosporin on the wound and try to get some water in him now. Thank you for your suggestions

Unfortunately, yes. I would say this silkie was targeted for his weakness (even if that weakness is just being a silkie) by your other birds. Sadly, this is very common. Silkies are susceptible to bullying. Hopefully he does not have any permanent neurological damage. Best of luck :hugs

Unfortunately, yes. I would say this silkie was targeted for his weakness (even if that weakness is just being a silkie) by your other birds. Sadly, this is very common. Silkies are susceptible to bullying. Hopefully he does not have any permanent neurological damage. Best of luck :hugs
:( That is what I was afraid of. I am hoping he doesn’t have any permanent damage as well. Such a sweet little chicken. Thank you for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom