Opinions wanted for Log cabin block placement

Chick-a-roos

Songster
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
Blue Ridge, GA
I was wanting some opinions on placement for the log cabin blocks. This is my first bed/throw size quilt.

I am making this for my son that will be starting college in Jan. I'm not sure if I should use photo 1 or 2 placement.
Then do I want borders or just binding??? and then what colors for borders & binding?
Not sure if I want to attempt this quilting on my machine or have someone do the quilting.

It seems like alot of decisions!
barnie.gif
So any advice or opinions would really be appreciated!
smile.png

33322_img_1934.jpg
33322_img_1916.jpg

I like photo 2 on the right the best. How about a thin binding of red to frame it all in and the outside border dark blue? The quilt edges will be handled the most and dark colors will keep it looking clean longer. (thinking college...what's laundry?)

Quote:
I agree. I like the red and blue border idea! Lovely quilt - show us the finished product please when you're done.

Quote:
I agree. I like the red and blue border idea! Lovely quilt - show us the finished product please when you're done.

This is what I was going to say and then saw it had been said. LOL

I also like #2.

The votes are in....#2 is the winner!
clap.gif
I liked #2 also but knew it was best to have opinions from experienced quilters!
I didn't have a 12 1/2" quilt square so had to pick one up today. I don't look forward to squaring all those blocks.
hmm.png

So, how wide should a thin red border be? (the red thin border being the same red as the center square in the block?) and then the size of a blue outside border?

Sometimes I use a one inch border to frame the pieced top before adding the wide border.

Then too, I look at the odd number ratio when deciding on a quilt border (ie 1:3).

If you make the red border the finished width of the red square (2 inches), then the blue border could be 3 times that or 6 inches finished width.

Another rule is 1/3 or 1/2 the width of the finished block so on a 12 inch block that would be a border of 3 inches or 6 inches for the blue.

Lovely top!

Back
Top Bottom