Ordering chicks

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
Ok, so I decided to order my chicks instead of getting them from TSC, so I can make sure I get what I want. We have a hatchery close by to us, but they don't have Leghorn chicks. They have Plymouth Rocks, New Hampshire Reds, RIR, Wyandotte, and Sussex, all of which I want. I really want Leghorns. Should I order what the closest hatchery can get me and then order my leghorns from another hatchery, or should I order all of them from one place. The close hatchery will ship within a week, the other one I'm looking at can take 2-4 weeks. If I do it that way, will I then have problems with introducing the new chicks? Also, are these all good breeds, and will they all get along? I tried to get chickens that are all about the same weight so that no one gets smushed!

I would probably go all from one. I would have two worries from ordering separately. First, that one would delay my shipment and I would end up with chicks two or three weeks apart in age. Second, that the number of leghorns or other breed I wanted would have to meet minimum order requirements that far exceed my needs. Just my 2 cents...

I've decided to order all of them at one time. I didn't realize that it would take so long for them to get here, anywhere from 2-5 weeks depending on the breed. Is this normal?

I would order them all from one hatchery. That way they are all the same age and from the same place.

I've decided to order all of them at one time. I didn't realize that it would take so long for them to get here, anywhere from 2-5 weeks depending on the breed. Is this normal?
Depends on the hatchery. Some will pick out your week in advance when all your breeds are available and you will have that date solidly. Others seem to go on more of a first come first served rolling availability.

Also bear in mind that one breed may be sold out for months in some cases. Like Marans. Most hatcheries don't have availability until April or May for that breed so if they were part of your order you would have to wait until more became available.

Back
Top Bottom