Organic Non GMO Wholesome Feed?

Pics
Now, here is my question: WHERE can I buy NON-GMO meat-bird chicks, which means the parents must be fed non-gmo feeds.

MontanaGal

It's unlikely that you will find Cornish cross chicks from parents that were raised on non-GMO or organic feed. The commercial breeder flocks just aren't managed that way as chicks headed to organic production are considered organic as long as they are managed as organic from the second day of life. (This stipulation allows the birds to live on the "non-organic" yolk sac for the first day of life). It's also unlikely that you'd find the breeder stock outside of a commercial setting.

It would be possible to find chicks from standard dual-purpose parents that are managed organically, but you'd have to do some searching and buy them from an organic smallholder. You aren't going to get them from any hatchery that I know of.

Really well thanks for the information. It was a certified organic farmer that told me that GMO seed can be grown organically and sold as organic produce. Perhaps he was confused. The whole subject makes me very untrusting of the food and feed industry.

It is pretty simple to know that the three major crops are suffering from GMO cross pollination. Plants reproduce sexually by their pollen blowing in the wind or on the back of birds and bees? You can process and grow a field under organic conditions, but unless you have the crop in a green house, cross pollination is happening. Even the "GMO project" acknowledges they can only guarantee less than 0.9% GMO free products.

It seems there is so much GMO corn soy and canola, that the entire genii will eventually be infiltrated by the GMO gene. It cannot be contained, because the wind will not stop blowing. Here is an article on corn contamination of GMO in a country that has never allowed cultivation of GMO corn within its borders, yet the GMO gene is confirmed and present supposedly 1600 miles from the nearest GMO corn field.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/525

I know it is sad, but think about it. It is a real threat.

http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/why-no-soy.html

Last edited:
Does such a thing even exist for chickens? In the past we fed our hens Layena, and it just never felt right to me. We are big into organics, non GMOs, no processed foods, etc., and I would love to do the same for our chickens.

Do any of you purchase such a feed for your chickens, and if so, where do you get it from & how much does it cost?

Thank you so much for any input. Much appreciated.
smile.png
We buy the Morrison's organic, non-GMO starter (or we did until they got started foraging; now we buy it less and less).

This is their website. I think they ship, but we are local to the their feed store. HTH.

http://www.morrisonsfeeds.com/

Hi,

I buy organic chicken feed from Big Sky Organic Feed, Fort Benton, Montana. Others are right though - it is about twice as much $$ wise for the organic, than the regular feed, but since I don't trust our food production companies any more, I will buy organic and have the peace of mind that I am doing the best that I can for my family and my birds.

Here is the link: http://www.montanaflour.com/store/organic-feed/

Now, here is my question: WHERE can I buy NON-GMO meat-bird chicks, which means the parents must be fed non-gmo feeds.

MontanaGal
McMurray Hatchery told someone on BYC that their parent birds are fed non-GMO- you can call them to verify I would imagine.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but I understand that the feed may or may not be gmo but what about the breed of chicken? Like the two month meat bird aren't they gm?
No we aren't supposed to have GM birds here as far as I know.

The meat birds that are Cornish crosses from my understanding are a Cornish crossed with a White Rock. Not GM.

If you happen to live in MN...I buy my chicks, peahen and guineas organic non-gmo feed from The Buckwheat Growers in MN. Www.buckwheatgrowers.com. They are amazing and the feed is less than at our local traditional feed store. Our Pygmy goats eat feed from there too.

Back
Top Bottom