Pics
Here is a chicken-related question:
I bought a chicken saddle for my Speckled Sussex hen, because she lost feathers on her lower back (we do not have a rooster) and has been isolating herself from the rest of the flock to avoid getting pecked by Orloff. If I put it on her during the day, will she react negatively? I have heard of chickens that were very unhappy about having a saddle when it was first put onto them.
I had to use a saddle to stop pecking from other hens in the past. Some birds don't mind wearing clothes, others don't like it. Put it on her and see how she does. She may fuss at first but she will get used to it and definitely remove it at bedtime.

Let us know how she does!

I had to use a saddle to stop pecking from other hens in the past. Some birds don't mind wearing clothes, others don't like it. Put it on her and see how she does. She may fuss at first but she will get used to it and definitely remove it at bedtime.

Let us know how she does!
I haven't tried it yet; I was thinking try it on her after dark so that she would (theoretically) be calmer, and then put it on her for real tomorrow morning.

Is it okay to leave the saddle on overnight?
I managed to get the saddle onto Sussex, though she made several escape attempts. Luckily she is a very docile, and relatively small, chicken, and didn't make much fuss once it was on. Of course, she kept preening her wing feathers, but that is to be expected. I hope her feathers grow back in soon!

Sussex is doing well! She does not seem to mind the chicken saddle at all, though she still isolates herself from the others a lot of the time.
I have another question: Does feed intake decrease when chickens are molting? I have noticed that my flock is eating a lot less than they used to.

Spotted a coyote just a bit ago, trotting briskly down the sidewalk. :loveNot a common occurrence here in Silicon Valley--I hope it stays safe, and that any chickens and other small backyard pets stay safe too!

We framed a vintage chicken poster reprint today! I am quite happy with the way it looks. Now we just need to find a suitable place on which to hang it up.

Notice that it says "Common Breeds of Chickens and Roosters." :rolleyes:
1619042129043.png

Back
Top Bottom