Orp and Cochin growth

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
How long does it take for big standards like Orpingtons and Cochins to finish growing? Seems like it takes them forEVER to get big! I'm not surprised with all that fluff they have to make
tongue.png
But still. Dad's having a hard time believing they'll ever get the size of my adult BO roo Clyde
tongue.png

It probably varies from strain to strain. My Orpingtons tend to grow frame for the best part of their first year then they put on muscle for about another six months or so. I think I've heard cochins are even slower. It seems that the nicer & typier the Orp the longer it takes to mature, making the big exhibition types not particularly practical as a useful farmyard breed.

My Blacks that I hatched in March just started to lay. I have one chick from them already. I say 7 to 8 months..
The cockerel in the pic was a Dec hatch, I have 4 dozen chicks from him that are near 5 months old. So, cockerels are ready sooner then pullets. more like 5 to 6 months

376351669.jpg

I agree with Kris.
Growth rate is going to vary from strain to strain. I have a Black Cochin around 6 months old and he is around 5 pounds. ( a little under 1/2 grown )
The line of Rhode Island Red I have are very slow growing. They will take up to 14 months to get up to size and another 8 to 10 months putting on weight/bulk/muscle.

Like Kris. said sometimes the longer it takes to mature, making the big exhibition types not particularly practical as a useful farmyard breed.

Chris

-sigh-
Well, I guess I'll just keep feedin' their fat butts and wait as they grow
tongue.png
Although I can't complain too much cause they are so adorable right now!
love.gif

Thanks guys for the imput
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom