Orp and Cochin growth

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mary Of Exeter, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    How long does it take for big standards like Orpingtons and Cochins to finish growing? Seems like it takes them forEVER to get big! I'm not surprised with all that fluff they have to make [​IMG] But still. Dad's having a hard time believing they'll ever get the size of my adult BO roo Clyde [​IMG]

2. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

It probably varies from strain to strain. My Orpingtons tend to grow frame for the best part of their first year then they put on muscle for about another six months or so. I think I've heard cochins are even slower. It seems that the nicer & typier the Orp the longer it takes to mature, making the big exhibition types not particularly practical as a useful farmyard breed.

3. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    My Blacks that I hatched in March just started to lay. I have one chick from them already. I say 7 to 8 months..
    The cockerel in the pic was a Dec hatch, I have 4 dozen chicks from him that are near 5 months old. So, cockerels are ready sooner then pullets. more like 5 to 6 months

[​IMG]

4. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

When a bird is capable of mating & when it finishes growing are not, necessarily, the same.

5. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    True Keys, I misinterpreted the question.

6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I agree with Kris.
    Growth rate is going to vary from strain to strain. I have a Black Cochin around 6 months old and he is around 5 pounds. ( a little under 1/2 grown )
    The line of Rhode Island Red I have are very slow growing. They will take up to 14 months to get up to size and another 8 to 10 months putting on weight/bulk/muscle.

Like Kris. said sometimes the longer it takes to mature, making the big exhibition types not particularly practical as a useful farmyard breed.

Chris

7. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    You were right. They take forever [​IMG]

8. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    -sigh-
    Well, I guess I'll just keep feedin' their fat butts and wait as they grow [​IMG] Although I can't complain too much cause they are so adorable right now! [​IMG]

Thanks guys for the imput [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by