orpington color *blue*

Quote:
Well I think he is just beautiful! I voted for him too
wink.png

I'm getting a young blue orp rooster on Friday! I'll keep the posts from this thread in mind while I make my selection.

Quote:
wink.png

I'm getting a young blue orp rooster on Friday! I'll keep the posts from this thread in mind while I make my selection.

Thank you
big_smile.png

He has by far the best personality...I just assumed he was perfect..hehe...but coloring I guess is off
smile.png
still pretty but I guess even though he comes from some showy lines...he is not

My breeding plans are just for fun, certain traits and look....I doubt I'll ever show chickens. I just want some broodies to hatch cuties. I'm getting a couple of buff brahma pullets on Friday too. I'm going to be experimenting with chick breeding!
tongue.png
I love this hobby.

Quote:
wink.png

Thank you
big_smile.png

He has by far the best personality...I just assumed he was perfect..hehe...but coloring I guess is off
smile.png
still pretty but I guess even though he comes from some showy lines...he is not

You are very welcome. I am very excited about meeting my new roo. They are only 2 - 3 months old.

This was my Blue Orp boy a year ago at 5 months old.
40608_blu_orp_ckcl.jpg

Here he is last spring, about 9-months.
40608_blu_orp_2.jpg

Another from last spring
40608_blue_orp_3.jpg

I wish I had a picture of him now. He just finished his first molt and he is darker with more lacing.
He was very yellow as the summer past. I think that was a combination of sun and just natural fading of the feathers as they aged. His new feathers are very black where they are supposed to be and has some lacing. I would say he is okay for a hatchery Blue, but he is not as well laced as I would like to see. I would say either your bird is borderline Splash or a very, very light blue.

You can get a Standards of Perfection from McMurray for about $60. Don't go on eBay, there are people who are crazy and asking $300. The latest edition just came out this year and they come out every 10 years with updates and changes.

The more I look at your boy, the more I think he is a Splash.
If you aren't familiar with the "Blue Genetics" I believe there are a few stickies on here to find out more.
He looks like a nice boy. If you are doing this for fun, they are a good breed to have. I love their good temperament and their big, fluffy butts.
And with blues, it is like having three colors (varieties) for the price of one
wink.png

I am also seeing something with his comb, you may want to look closer at that. He has an extra nub on there. I have a couple out here like that of other breeds and to me that is just one thing to not keep going if you can help it.
If you are just having fun making baby chicks though, it isn't an issue unless you want it to be.

Last edited:
Quote:
lol.png
wwaaayyyy to throw another color I there LOL

This is fun though...waiting for some of Bargins BBS eggs to hatch so I'll just stay up researching his color
smile.png

I am trying to take this up as a hobby around my area...we don't have many other colors of orps around here...but I wannt to do it right too... was thinking about showing...but I don't have enough birds yet or knowledge.

Quote:
lol.png
wwaaayyyy to throw another color In there LOL

This is fun though...waiting for some of Bargins BBS eggs to hatch so I'll just stay up researching his color
smile.png

I am trying to take this up as a hobby around my area...we don't have many other colors of orps around here...but I wannt to do it right too... was thinking about showing...but I don't have enough birds yet or knowledge.

Didn't catch this at first, but I have some youngsters I hatched from Bargain too.
Watch out, you might end up hatching some of her Jersey Buff turkeys too and fall in love again
wink.png

My BBS Orps from her are still too young to say much about them. The boys all look a little rough from being the youngest ones in the yard, but the girls are looking good.

Back
Top Bottom