Orpingtons of Different Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love orps!!
smile.png

I Love Orps too, even the "non-American Orpingtons". Someone suggested somewhere not to settle for these. I think it was an Ebay seller. Is it OK to settle for English Orps now? Just curious.

These Chocolates were also at the farm we visited. Traded for some hatching eggs. They should arrive in a few days. We will set up two breeding programs. One will breed them to our Majestic Lane Blacks to bring them to the SOP and the other will be to our Black Wyandotte Bantams to develop a Chocolate Wyadotte. We will also try to produce a pur English line. This fall we will show them as English Orps so folks can truly see the differences. These were about 4.5 to 5# and obviously larger than any of our Orpington Bantams. The color was nice to finally see in person. No photo has done them justice. They are lovely, but do have that Cochin look to them.

47716_photo373.jpg

47716_photo372.jpg

Quote:

I would like to start a small flock just for eggs and to teach my kids the importance of farming. The chickens will be "pets with benefits" only for eggs not meat, as I could probably not butcher them. I like how Wyandottes and Orpingtons look....However, I can't find a breeder that raises both, I want all different colors. It would be easy to order from a hatchery as they offer several breeds, is there a HUGE difference is hatchery birds and breeder birds? I dont want "coookey" weird hatchery birds that are unfriendly. I want friendly birds that like to be with people so my kids enjoy raising them. Any advice?

Yea, get you some BBS English Orps. Mine are so friendly, I just like to set out & watch them on the yard, They are by far my favorite, I have had American Orps. to & they were from A well knowen breeder, just like the English better.
That lemon does not have the English type, I never seen any of my English look like that at any stage as they are growing.
Good luck with them, hope they turn out great for you.

Quote:
There are already many breeds; he is simply wanting to ADD a breed that is currently unrecognised. Much in the same way that seramas or marans have been shown, although both are now recognuised (but only in this past year). The only confusing factor is the name, and as the breed entered is "British Orpington" and the British standard is provided to the show staff and judges (preferably ahead of time) it seems reasonable. If there are sufficient breeders and time working with the bird here in the US, then submitting a copy of the standard to the APA forfuture recognition also seems appropriate.

I understand that. But as originally stated, it sounded more complicated. Calling them different things, thus making them akin to being a "different" breed works. But just calling them both Orpingtons or one type an Orpington and another 'British Orpington' is fine. Sort of like what I said already. Problem is, we're currently calling them both the same thing, just putting a qualifier in front for one type, sometimes, not always, like English SOP or English Type or APA. Calling the ones that are more to the British SOP something other than "Orpington" does, in effect, add a "new" breed, though, even if it's the same breed as one already in there. Some, as evidenced by this thread, don't care for the idea. After seeing all the misunderstanding here, I am no longer offering any more opinions about it. I only stated facts, I don't mean to sway anyone one way or the other.

There is just as many American made Orps that are as far from our SOP as UK Orps. And in 5 years without any guidance or desire to cull down to one's best trio or two you will see the same happen to the imported Orps.
Far as these Lemon Cuckoos. I do not see any UK influence. Not saying their not full blooded imports, but saying IF they are their UK hatchery quality. The only one of these Jim posted who maybe worth using is the pullet. I would get a better quality cockerel or just use a Terry Brit cock and build the Cuckoo line slowly but correctly. You gain nothing by raising and feeding inferior birds. You are just spinning your wheels. The Chocs appear to have UK blood. And they should since that is the only place to get the Choc gene. But, being 5 lbs you can't show them as a Banty and it will take years to build them up from 5 lbs. Like most everyone who I see who has these, they will be looking to breeding them to each other and not be the ones to better the quality since they only want to sell sell sell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom